Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 temperary SYE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Jul 20, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive been thinking about something for a while and i don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

the company that sells the "208 SYE" (can't remember who) as a slip yoke and you have to drill and tap the output shaft. whats stopping you from runing the standard driveshaft, then if you break/twist/or otherwise mangle the driveshaft, just pull it out and put this SYE to keep the fluid in. then just limp it home or where ever.

i always keep fluid in my truck, so loosing a little bit when you pull it is nothing. just something that ive been wondering about.

also what is the difference with what the company sells and what is on my driveshaft right now? is the length different?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Without the drilling and tapping there wouldn't be anything to retain it and any vibration could make it work its way out. Other than that I can't see any reason what you are talking about wouldn't work. I use to keep the slip part that goes in two wheel drive transmissions on hand to stop the flow of fluid when pulling a motor/trans together. What you are saying would work in a limp it home scenario as you were thinking. I wouldn't want that sucker to come out though.

There is probably a length difference in the one they sell and I'm not familiar with what the inside of there yoke looks like but should be capped with a bolt hole in the very center so it actually bolts up tight.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea deffinetely have a bolt to hold it in, but you wouldn't need to have a big bolt, just something like a 5/16" or 3/8" about 1" long.

seems like every 2wd slip yoke ive seen is smaller, i know its alot shorter. i have a 4wd slip yoke that is a little rusty, i could always just cut about 2" off. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif