Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 to 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I see a 205 T-case in the local paper for $50. Seems like a good deal. What does it take to stick it into my K5 in place of the 208? I really don't know much about this stuff. I have a TH400 trans in there right now, with an adapter to go to the original 208 from 1983. Is it a difficult swap? Would I need an adapter to the TH400? Maybe it depends on what vehicle this 205 is from?

I could also swap it in place of the 208 on my M1008 CUCV, which also has a TH400, but came factory mated to the 208.

TIA

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I would like to do this some day so that I could run a twin-stick setup.

I'm under the impression that you need the adapter and the correct input shaft. So I've always thought that means you pretty much have to find a 205 that was originally behind a TH400.

Also from what I understand the 205 with the correct input for a TH400 is also the most desireable setup for the doubler kits. Which means they are hard to find and usually sell quick if the price is at all resonable.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will post. I'm really hoping I'm wrong, and there's hope that I may find a 205 for my TH400 that's not too expensive.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Like said above, you need a 205 that was behind a 400, and the adapter that should still be on it. If not, you'll need to buy an adapter, and also change the input on the 205, which would kill the $50 deal.

I'm assuming this is a chevy 205... ford used them too, but they were driver's side drop. Not bad if you've got a ford front axle to use as well.

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the info. How about the shifter and stuff like that? Can I go from 208 to 205 without cutting the body sheet metal? Any crossmember issues?

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

You'll want the crossmember with the 205 if you can get it, or just make the holes a little bigger on the 208's crossmember.

the 205's shifter will fit in the same hole.