Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 transfer case Brace?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Feb 17, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

So I keep on getting bothered more and more by my rear drive shaft shake. Yesterday I took a look around under my buddy's 88 blazer and his np208 had a brace on it. There are two holes on the passenger side of the t-case that mounted either to his 700R4 bell housing or the engine block. (Don't quite remember which) My 208 didnt have one when I bought it so I wonder if someone didnt leave it off at some point. I also have a sm465 so maybe they didnt have a bracket made to mount to it. Either way I am pondering if I should have one and hope it would help stablize the t-case and stabalize any shimmy coming from there. Anyone have one of these or know what I am talking about? Where would I find one?

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I have the brace on my truck but it's not bolted up to the motor at all. The bolt on that side has broken off many years ago. I see what you mean about the shimmy and shake so maybe I should get that bolt back in. I would assume you'd be able to get it from the junkyard or even from the for sale forum. Maybe post something on the wanted forum and see what you come up with.

BE <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue> BUY <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue>!!!!

So Cal Big Dawgs are coming to a wheeling spot near you!!

3. BowtieBlazer

If you take a look under there and think about the physics of the driveshaft and how long the engine and tranny w/t-case are...unsupported it seems like it would wobble and being that I dont have the brace maybe thats an easy solution to some of my wobbles. Until then the centifical(sp?) force of the driveshaft will tend to make the unsupported t-case do its own thing. (Just Speculation)

Any other thoughts anyone?

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ummm, do you or do you not have a crossmember under the tcase? I think you are supposed to...

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I dunno, I would think that brace is more for the area where the tranny and t case moiunt together. Not alot of meat there. Mine hasnt been on in yrs and yrs, so I guess I've been lucky. I'll keep an eye on this post tho.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

6. BowtieBlazer

the crossmember is where my SM465 rests....the t-case as posted by jimmyjack is in a little less meaty area. The only thing around my tcase is the skid plate which flares off the cross member below it. The t-case mounts to the tranny with 6 bolts on the connecting flange and thats it. I agree with jimmy jack something now makes me think the brace should mount to my tranny.

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

7. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

gotcha. I forgot you had a manual. on both my 700/208 trucks the x member is under the tcase.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

8. BowtieBlazer

ttt

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer