Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EDGE, Oct 22, 2000.

1. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

I dug into my t-case today and found that the housing is cracked.I want to swap it with a 205 anyway.What years should I at to get the proper spline count so I can pretty much just bolt it in?

2. Does your truck have a turbo 400,350,or 700r4 trannie?

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

700r4 with a 208 t-case on an 86k5

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

You need a 205 that was mated to a TH350. You will also need a shorter output shaft put in the 700r4. Advance adapters sells the shaft, it's about $150 or so. I believe that the 1972 or later blazers were the only ones that came with a TH350 and an NP205.

There are other options, like swapping a fined splined input shaft into a 205 off of a manual transmission, but you will still need the adapter from the 205 that came from the automatic, so finding it all together is the best way to go. I did this swap last year, so if you need any more info just drop me a line.

BIGJ

5. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

Thank you bigj.When time and money permits I'll look for you.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

BigJ, how hard was it to find a 205 that hooked up to a th350? Where did you get it? What was it off of? How much did you pay? Would like to do that someday, but with all the interest in 205's I imagine the pickins are pretty slim.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

7. BIGJ

Well, it just so happened that my friend had a 72 blazer with a th350/np205 combo. He dropped in a SM465 and t-case out of a 79 4x4, and I got the old t-case. I paid $100 bucks for the 205.

BIGJ

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Lucky dog [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Doesn't putting a shorter output shaft in the tranny require disassembly of the tranny? Does it require the tranny to be pulled?

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

10. BIGJ

Yes, I had to pull the tranny. I called just about every transmission shop in town trying to find someone that would just replace the shaft and not try and do a complete rebuild. I finally found a place that swapped the output shaft for 75 bucks. I also rented a transmission jack, and for installing the t-case and tranny, I would highly recommend one. It made life ten times easier being able to rotate everything front to back and side to side while it was in the air. It took about three hours to pull everything, and about six or seven to to put it back together.

BIGJ