Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

21 hours to go so I went skydiving...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Mar 18, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Nothing else we can do now so it's off to war we go. So I thought I would go jump out of an airplane and help one of my best friends get his 48 hour freefall badge on his 30th aniversery of skydiving. A 48 hour freefall badge means you have a total of 48 hours of accumulated freefall time. At an average of 60 seconds of freefall per jump that's a lot of time and money into the sport. A jump from 12,500 feet now costs $20... He has 2847 jumps now and that took him 45 seconds over 48 hours.

After that we went into the DZ bar and had drinks and said our congrats to him. Then we doused him in beer....

Earlier in the day I got stuck in my own creekbed with my K5... That was embarrassing... But I'm much better now...

2. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

$20???? is that if you have all your own eqipment? i wanted to do it for my 18th b-day but it was like $150 so i didnt. have you ever done it before? was it fun?

3. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i'd love to try it, but i sure dont like heights that much, i'm pretty sure if i did i'd freak out and scream like a little girl the whole way down....
    then knowing me do it all over again, and again with the screaming of course..

4. landsmasher

It's $20 per jump with all your own gear and of course a license. Back when I started in 1981, the price to 12,500 feet was $12.50. A Tandem Jump now costs $200.00. The cost of the school is about $1300.00. Gear can run you anywhere from $1500 for a comeplete rig used, up to $5000.00 new with all the bells and whistles...

Ya I had a blast! One of the most fun jumps I've done in a long time. They are all fun but sometimes you do one that stands out in your mind. Silly things can happen during the jump. We had a girl on the jump and the last formation we did included her in front of me gripping my wrists and the rest of the pack behind me on my legs. During the "Dirt Dive", (that's when we practice the jump on the ground) we had no helmets on. I wear a soft cap when I jump but she had a full faced helmet on and when she showed up in front of me I was going to give her a Kiss Pass. Went to kiss her and then realised that her face was covered... LOL!

5. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

hahahaha!!!. the skydiving pimp-masta!!!!

6. speedup

speedup Registered Member

Heh, ever since I was a kid I wanted to go skydiving and bungee jumping. Turned 18 and a few months later went to go bungee jumping. Got to the top of the tower and had a moment of clarity: Why should I jump off this perfectly good tower when the stairs are the two-way variety? Ever since I have been spreading the Wisdom I obtained. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. landsmasher

Oh, skydiving isn't for everyone. And I don't preach that it is safe by any means. Every time I leave the plane I know that my life is in grave danger if everything doesn't go right. But I'm well trained and have been jumping for 20 years now. So for me it's nothing but fun...

If you're interested, check out my skydiving site.

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

FOR SALE - parachute
    -Used once, slightly stained.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Sounds like fun, though! I'd love to go skydiving, I'm just a big pussy, though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif