Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

21 Road Pics Posted

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Stephen, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

HERE

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Sweet! How does Brandon like the buggy? Looks real nice (on the trail finally!). When did you guys go out there?

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

holy crap, that rock-through-the-"door" shot is scary! I keep tellin peeps that run no doors on their K5s that this kinda thing could be a problem when ur 5k lb rig flops on its side and there happens to be a rock next to ya! glad he made it out ok! cool pix too! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Cool pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Looks like a fun trail /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I have a buddy that is in the gas well business in that area. He was able to give me some info on 21 Road on our last trip up there. The road up to the gas fields was actually rebuilt a couple of times, after big storms up on the mesa dumped water down that box canyon and flash flooding washed the road out. The gas companies finally gave up and now have a different route up into the well areas. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

One thing that is really amazing is that that those HUGE boulders get rearranged by flash floods every few years. So that canyon is NOT a good place to be if there are thunder clouds in the distance. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But it also means that the trail offers different challenges after each big storm. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Nice! Phase II of my cage buid will include tieing new seats into the cage and some kind of door bars. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The new buggy is great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif These things are so easy to drive and feel nice in off camber situations. The rock on the steering wheel was interesting but I was backing out slowly when it happened so it really was more of a "Oh this is cool a rock is wanting to be my freind" type thing. Had it been a "hard roll" it would have been scary, as it was it was falling into a crack mostly. The nice thing was that Stephen winched me out and I drove it through there on the right line and it was no big deal.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Nice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Looks like a real blast.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We didn't think to armor the steering wheel when we built this thing! Another way to look at this is that it's a good reason to have door bars, that rock could have been all the way inside.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Stephen,
    call me a chicken and all, but i had that feeling riding with you at blazer bash. well, that and im a big baby and dont like not being in control.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    great pics. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grant

10. Stephen

The buggy seems to work good enough to give me serious envy. All I need to do is lose about a thousand pounds, improve my approach angle, drop the motor a few inches, narrow it up and taper it some more and I'll be right in there. Which means at this point I'm going to boatside the rockers, add a door bar and call it good for at least another year. I'm putting some thought into building a new chassis and just transferring all my hard parts into it, that would be a minimum cost way to go. The only other option is to sell my K5 as some variation of a rolling chassis and I don't know if I could get enough out of it to replace the parts.
    Regardless, I have other stuff to work on for the next year so all I can do is plan it out now. It's sure going to suck following him around though.

11. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

You can always think back to the Car Wash Hot Tub during BB'03. If needed, I'll testify that only Wally made it out...

12. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

hmmmnn... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that buggy is way sexy... Im thinkin of buildin somethin similar, but a narrower single seater. buggys are so cool. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif btw, you have any other pics of it?

j

14. miniwally

Now you really can't hold the hot tub agianst me. 1st time ever driving the vehicle and then massive amounts of head in a$$ with the whole no electric fan/hot coolant bath.
    Besides wally has like twice the horsepower that I have it's just not fair /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Any way yea Wally can pretty much take me any time with the throttle but I can take Wally in an off camber situation.

15. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm putting some thought into building a new chassis and just transferring all my hard parts into it

[/ QUOTE ]

Natural progression. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Hey, that buggy of yours is one fine machine, and I bet it'll get even better the more seat time you'll have in it. I was just trying to comfort Stephen.... That hot coolant thing looked scary as hell. But it was amazing how stable that thing looked while you had it hanging on the wall, both at the Tub and later next to Escalator. Have you tried to talk to Stephen to give you his motor? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. miniwally

Well I will gladly give up the motor thing to Wally. I mean he is one over weight Walrus. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif He needs all of the motor he can get. I will keep the small block and just get him in the narrow stuff or the off camber stuff or the places where height matters.
    Really though we have figured out that to much horsepower is like getting to much sex. You here of it happening but it has never happened to you or anyone you know.
    That climb out of that hottub was 100% 468 Big block that is built well. Someday I to should be able to make that happen just not now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Stephen

I've considered giving up the big block, solely because it's a tall motor and when we're trying to drop the CG as much as possible, that's a big deal, but I'm not convinced it's worth it. The power is fun and I can't imagine what it would be like in a buggy weighing a bunch less so it'll probably stay. It may get some alum. heads to lighten up the top of it, and keeping it cool will probably require more radiator that brandon has, or some kind of auxilary cooling off the heater hoses. All together it will probably cost me 250 lbs, I guess I can deal with that if I have to.
    I still have some tuning to do on wally and it works well now, so I can't complain too bad but the mini version sure gives me the wants.
    There is always the sweet memory of the carwash.

19. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    There is always the sweet memory of the carwash.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now you can get it washed and get a shower at the same time for just the price of the carwash, sounds like a good monatary investment. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner