Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

21Rd trip report

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Oct 28, 2006.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

We actually hit the trail in pretty good time. I think we were rolling by 9:00AM. The rigs were oatsk5 (his dad Wayne riding shotgun), fred2mihi (me @ shotgun), INTERCEPTOR (my bro-in-law Don shotgunnin'), & oats' friend Randy in the Jeep Commache w/Ron riding along. Plus we got to finally meet TDAWG1 at the trailhead. I always get a kick out of meeting new CK5ers, and it looks like his rig will be hittin' the big rocks soon. :D

This trail reminded me a lot of Boulder Carnage. We climbed up a canyon that was a run-off type creek bed. It was a very beautiful, scenic trail. I can see where it wouldn't be bad in the summer if you started early in the AM because we were in shade until about 11AM or so. It was pretty wet with some mud because Junction has gotten a fair amount of rain in the past few weeks.

It didn't take long for the good stuff to start coming once we dropped into the bottom. I would agree with Dad that this trail is more difficult than OCG. Especially with the wet ground. I think we had to get a winch line out 4 times. That's the most that I've seen on a trail run I've been along on.

21Rd definitely brought some weak links to light in all of the rigs.
    • oatsk5: needs to adjust draglink so he can turn BOTH directions
    • fred2mihi: front locker no worky :doah:
    • INTERCEPTOR: need new motor mount
    • Randy: need front D44, loose the D30 (this after breaking axle shaft u-joint) :wink1:
    Time for the winter building season.

There were 2 bits of carnage that were trail enders for 2 rigs. First was fred2mihi, we discover that his front locker wasn't working. It would try turn the wheel, but obviously not hard enough. He was basically running like limited slip. Dad decided to park after getting out, otherwise he'd have just tore up more stuff trying to make the trail in 3-wheel drive. See in this vid, locker no worky:
    http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Videos/?action=view&current=IMG_0056.flv

Oats' buddy Randy trashed his axle shaft u-joint and broke the ears off the outer yoke driving back out of this little situation:
    http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Videos/?action=view&current=IMG_0076.flv
    In Randy's defense, it was Ron who happened to be driving. I wish I would have had the camera on sooner. :doah:

Oats' was out to punish the sheetmetal today. Here's a clip of him going 1 round with a big rock in the other corner. And he just kept going back for more:
    http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Videos/?action=view&current=IMG_0042.flv

Here's a little clip of oats trying to flop his rig and take out fred2mihi's truck at the same time. :rotfl:
    http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Videos/?action=view&current=IMG_0043.flv

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  2. mrk5

Oh yeah, and for the record there is an easy dirt track that runs along beside 21Rd for about 2/3 of its length. One of the guys' family followed along in a mid-late 90s Tahoe.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

More vids Scott...don't hold back on us. :deal: :laugh:

Rene

4. mrk5

I've got plans, I just need to get the clips transfered to my computer with the editing software. :D

5. tRustyK5

Can't wait. :waytogo:

Rene

6. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

This was by far the most difficult run I have slaughtered the "blue thing" on since I bought it. I enjoy the challenge of such a trail but it pains me to keep trashing the sheetmetal! Scott and I were talking with my darker blue rattle can paint pretty soon my truck is going to look like it is painted blue camoflage. :):)

Sure is a good thing the "CRICKET" wasn't along, that poor man would have died giggling. Thanks to Bo, Ervin, Scott, Randy Wayne, Don, Ron and Dave for a metalmashing good time. :): I suppose, it will be a long while, but one of these days I will have to go finish the trail. One thing about it if you flop it isn't very far that you will flop. Oh Duane, you are going to need to collect bunches more rock rash on the 70 before you go horsing around in that jumble of boulders.

Fred

7. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thanx to everyone and scott for the hitch and stickers yeah 21 rd is more for the jeeps

8. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanx guys It was my pleasure to meet you all and hope to run with you all some time. Oats get those 29 rd pics up I want to SEE them too and yes more 21rd pics.

9. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Well we all got home safe and sound. That was a kick ass trail I'm looking forward to doing that one again next summer.
    It was nice to meet you all and see some old faces again.

Well I got the K5 all washed not as much body damage as I thought I was going to have but the rust is sure taking a toll on the back half. Now I need to figure if I should run this body one more season or build another one.

Thanks again:D

10. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nice to meet you BO C-ya next time

11. mrk5

12. mrk5

We figured out why Dad was having problems with both front wheels not spinning. Turns out the front is a Detroit TrueTrac limited slip unit. For some reason we had it in our heads it was a Lock-Rite, good thing Rich was able to set us straight. :doah:

13. tRustyK5

Awesome! :bow: :bow: Much better than the teasers...:D

I guess finding out you have a Tru-trac is marginally better than finding out you broke something. (just kidding Fred.)

Rene

14. fred2mihi

Until this extreme 10 rated trail that thing has gotten me around every trail I have wanted to drive. I went, I saw, I am happy now that I know what the problem is with my truck and I will leave that stuff to the better equiped trucks.

fred2mihi

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Damn...... That looks like my kind of trail. I am going to have to drag my pig back up here for a long weekend on 21 Road and Billings sometime next year. :D

Harley

16. mrk5

Don't worry, I'm already thinking the same. Maybe even hit one of the Montrose trails, too! :saweet:

17. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

Man looks like you guys had a blast, that trail looks pretty sweet. Kick ass video like always Scott! How'd you like the new gears Fred? I'm wondering 'cause I may have to do some regearing in the future & I'll be pretty close to your setup with the 4 speed & all......

18. fred2mihi

Brigham those gears kick a.., places where I would have been doing the b-to-c thing. You know, hammering the h out of it just a little more gas and away I went. I think that Centerforce Clutch also plays a very big part in getting around, that sucker never slips, it hooks up and you are ready to go.

I plan on putting in a thumb throttle to help get going when my feet are to busy to work 3 pedals. In that spot where my front locker was being a hinderance several times I lost what I had gained going from brake to throttle.

fred2mihi

19. tRustyK5

I don't see a 'problem' with your truck Fred...I was just messin with you a little. Hell, my Jimmy is still open up front. :doah:

I just can't seem to make up my mind as far as a front locker...

Rene

20. mrk5

:shocked: I'd never have believed that!! NV4500, doubler... and open front. :doah:

I don't think he was upset with you, I think he was just declaring his decision now that he's finally made up his mind. We've been exploring the options and crunching the numbers all weekend. At this point "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :D At least we know it was actually working like it was supposed to. :doah:

Personally I agree with what you said about having a limited slip, but that's just me. :wink1:

I just finished editing another video, but I'll have to wait to upload it at work tomorrow. I wouldn't be able to receive a phone call for the next week trying to upload that on dial-up. :(