Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

229 chevy distributor Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Aug 15, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

does anyone know what distributors will interchange with the chevy 229 v-6 ones ? i need to replace the one on the 84 with a non ECM one that has vacuum advance, it has the 17084132 one right now
    200 and 229 and 4.3L are the same engines, just like the sBC v-8 engines

thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

78-80 Chevy 200-229 take the same Distributor from Autozone , 30-1695 . Regardless of Camaro , Malibu , or Monte Carlo . These woudl pre-date computers .

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe..

It MIGHT be the same distributor body as a small block V8 one!(229 is the same block as a 305 only shorter!)..perhaps you could put the V6 pickup coil in a V8 housing,the 229 distributor cap should fit the same as a V8 one.. :thinking: ..never tried it,but it might just work.. :crazy:

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh i wondered about swapping all that stuff too, hmmm

the 229 cap would fit a sbc housing and everything,

but can it be done ?
    as long as intake casting is same thickness and the same oil pump/shaft dimensions, etc, since apparently the crank centerline to deck and block height are all same on 200 and up engines

and yeah everything ive found out so far points to '78-80 200 or 229
    camaros malibus and B bodies as a non computer HEI donor for this.

the odds of finding someone parting out one of these is pretty slim, i think ill have as much luck with winning lottery really,. especuially nowadays

so hum,.

thanks

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

HAD tons of 78-84 malibu's here..

The junkyards here WERE full of older malibu's and monte carlos with 229's,but I bet they crushed 99% of them in the past year or so since scrap went up again..(Its 75 bucks a ton now here again!)..I bet there are still at least a few I could get a distributor from...but you might check AutoZone's price,my friend just got an older HEI for his truck for 50 bucks exchanged--I bet they wont even look at the core,I'd just slip a smallblock one in the box for the core charge!. :whistle: :crazy:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i was thinking about it and i dont think id have to swap to non ECM HEI if i were to swap on non ECM carb, as long as i left knock and MAP and O2 and other sensors plugged in

engine light would always be on but im 99% the non ECM carb and the ECM HEI willl run fine together, but not vice versa i know, an ECM carb wont run right without an ECM HEI i know

and besides the car runs damn good now after removing and plugging some smog hoses and such, and putting new waterpump on and new gas in it

been driving it, and took it to work and such today, i like it, its a quick lil get around car, better than the 88 caprice with the 305 was, for sure,
    i may not even need a carb for it now, all it has now is just a little bog on take off from dead stop when its really hot, sometimes

and thats it

maybe i should just clean the carb out and filter it im sure the filter is total crap in it, lol i havent checked it and the car sat for a long time parked i know

thanks