Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

23 pound pork shoulder, how to smoke it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stoney126, Mar 14, 2007.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

So I got a pork shoulder and I have a barrel BBQ. How do I smoke it? Any suggestions on rub or marinade?

2. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get some Tony Cachere's Creol Butter injectable marinade (they also make one specifically for pork) and inject as directed. Use some extra marinade to wet the outside and rub down with some Corky's dry-rub BBQ seasoning. Hopefully you can find these things out west.

You will need to smoke it for quite a while, like 45 min. per pound supposedly. You will have to look that up though. You describe a barrel type grill, does this mean it does not have a seperate fire box from the cooking surface. If not then keep the fire on one side and the meat on the other. The purpose is not the heat of the flame so just keep plenty of wet wood chips, and some dry ones too, to keep adding to the fire.

3. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

4. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Damn, beat me to it:wink1:

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

:haha: I was thinkin' Zig Zags but what the hell!

Seriously, if the Barrel smoker you are talking about is what I think it is you should have a water pan that goes in there, if not you are going to have to mop the hell out of it as you smoke it or it will dry out. Use the water pan if available with some herbs and maybe beer in it and mop it as well and you should be fine, but I'm thinking for that shoulder you're talking 18 hours or so.

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Mang if I still lived in CA. I would have brought the beer.. how did it turn out? :D

7. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

HEHE no need to bring any beer I gots plenty to go around :D Didnt do it today. Didnt figure it would take so long. gonna start it tomorrow around 8am give er take. Ill take pics:haha:

8. UseYourBlinker

I drink alot .. (PICS brother!!) :haha:

9. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Cold smoke or hot smoke? I'm gonna assume hot smoke, I do 6-12 pound pork shoulders for pulled pork all the time. I have a great rub that goes good with a red pepper cider vinegar sauce. I hot smoke at 200* on the BBQ, it usually takes 8-10 hours for a 8 pound roast. And, whenever I smoke pork, I ALWAYS use apple wood to smoke it. I've tried hickory and mesquite, but apple is the best. For that matter, any fruit wood tastes good with pork, I've tries pear, fig and plum as well. But, like I said, apple takes the cake.

Here's the rub recipe:

1 Tbsp Paprika
    1 Tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 1/2 tsp chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp coarsly ground black pepper
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1/2 tsp cayenne

Keep in mind, this is for a 5 pound roast, so you'll wanna triple or quadruple that.

Then theres the hot pepper vinegar sauce (still sized for a 5 pound roast)

1 1/2 Cups Cider vinegar
    2 Tbsp granulated sugar
    1 tsp Tobasco
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    Kosher salt to taste (I use ~1/4 tsp)
    Fresh ground pepper to tast (about 1/2 tsp for me)

Coat the roast with the rub, then tie it up

Put it in the smoker, fat side up, with a good head of apple smoke (smoke it the WHOLE time it's cooking) I put a pan underneath to catch the drippings, which I then add to the sauce. Smoke the roast until it reaches 185* in the center (a LOOOOOOOOONG time at 200*). Then put it on a platter and cover it with foil and let it rest for 20 minutes. In the meantime simmer the sauce for 10 minutes. When 20 minutes is up, pull, chop or shred the roast, throw out any large chunks of fat. After it is thoroughly shredded, moisten it with about 1/3 of the sauce. Then put it on some toasted buns ( I like Mayo on mine) and have some sauce on the side for dippin.

This is by far one of the best recipes I know, and if you ever ate my cooking, you'd know that means something.:D

10. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

where can I get applewood? Should Install a thermometer? Also what do mean good head of smoke? Build up the smoke then put in the pork?

11. mofugly13

They sell applewood chips at Big 5, OR, I see you're in napa, right around December 'till now, the local orchards ought to have done thier pruning, I use pruned branches from my apple trees. They are about as thick as my pinkie finger, and I cut them about 1-2" long. I use an oven thermometer in my grill (I use a 22 1/2" Weber Kettle). Getting the temp to stabilize is a little tough. I generally fire up about 1/2 a chimney's worth of coals, but dont let them get to tle light grey ash stage, just get them started, then I spread them on either side of the bottom grate. I close the top and bottom vents (not all the way, or they'll go out) so there is minimal air flow, if you find the temperature dropping, open them up a bit, if it gets above 250* close them a bit. I usually try to keep it 200-225*. When it seems like you need more coals, 'cause the old ones are burned up, usuall every 45 minutes to 1 hour, fire up 8-10 briquettes in the chimney, OUTSIDE of the grill, and when they're ready (with the grey ash coating) add them to the existing piles with metal tongs.

After the first coals are ready, and right before you put the meat on, drop a handful of apple chunks on each pile of coals, then close the lid and wait until smoke starts coming out of the holes in the lid. I guess it's not really necessary to wait for the smoke, as it starts billowing very shortly after the chunks are added. I always add more chunks before the old ones are done smoking, right about when they start to slow down. It's not too hard to mess up, just keep the smoke going and the temp between 200-300*. I know this contradicts my earlier 200-225 suggestion, but crap, its difficult to keep the heat just right, but TRY to keep it in the low 200's. I make sure I check it every half hour or so. I try and position the oven thermometer inside in such a way that I can use a flashlight through the top vent to read it without opening the lid. After the first three hours or so, you should have a pretty good feel for what you need to do to stabilize the temp, by adding coals and adjusting the vents. Good Luck! Ah, and since you're in the Bay Area, I suggest using some GOOD sourdough buns for the bread. The little sourdough rounds, 3-4" diameter from Boudin are the BEST!

Also, I take the bone out of the roast, if there is one. Then apply the rub, and roll and tie it up into a nice "roast" looking chunk of meat.

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I grew up with Zig Zag too :D :bow: !!

13. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

:waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :whistle:

14. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

We didnt use the whole shoulder, we only used half. This is about 3 hours in. Also pic of my dog in a hole and me and the ol lady

prok.jpg

me and beer.jpg

npva cooking.jpg

dog.jpg

15. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I thought only people in NC used a vinegar sauce, guess someone else has good taste :D. this recipe is similar to what I use for pork BBQ, minus the tabasco, I add it later to my own plate.

16. mofugly13

Lookin' good!

nc87K5, the book I got this recipe out of touted it as an Eastern Carolina thing, I definitely prefer it over tomato based sauce, which they claim is a western Carolina thing. When I first decide to try the recipe, I thought it sounded funky, but he pic in the book said a thousand words, and it is one of my all-time faves.

17. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

yea, I've tried that red sauce (Lexington style) and it sucks on pork. vinegar on pork is better.

oh yea, add a lemon to that also, makes it even better IMO.

18. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

That was some really good pork. Some of it still smoking. Made the vinegar sauce and it was very very good. My wife and sister put bbq sauce on it:doah:
    I tried a lil bbq on some and it ruins it to be honest. All you taste is bbq sauce. The vinegar works well with the pork. But I munched a bunch just plain by itself too:haha: Thanks for the tips and info guys, gonna do the other half saturday

19. UseYourBlinker

Look's good. I might go get me a pulled pork samich tomorrow. :D

20. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hahaha..... "pulled pork"