Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

235/85/16 on 8" wide rims?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The tire makers recommend a 6-7" rim for this tire size. Would running it on an 8" rim be risky?

2. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I think that a 8" wheel would be about right. I've got the same size on a factory 6" wheel and the way it bulges out in the center tels me that it doesn't like a 6" wide wheel. IMHO going with a 8" wheel couldn't hurt.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

wingnut- Whats the diameter when on a 6" rim? I was trying to get somewhere around 32" diameter. I wanted tall, not wide, but.. this is about the best combo.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

8" is too wide IMO. Its difficult to make that size seat on a 7" wide rim.

265/75 fits nice on a 7" wide wheel. 285/75 should be good choice for the 8".

255/85 is a possibility... its a slight improvement over the 235.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My 70 has 8" factory steelies on it and one of the listed factory tires is a G78 which is about a 205, so I don't see how a 235 could be too narrow. BTW, 235 is what I put on mine.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

beads hard to seat

The only problem I have with using 235-15's on my vans 8 inch rally wheels is the fact they are a PITA to get the beads to pop when mounting the tires!--it sits a hair lower than it does with the same tires and 6 inch wide wheels..but I've run both 6's and 8's,and tires seem to wear more evenly on the 8 inch ones than the sixes,which seem to eat the outer edges away quicker...also I noticed tires like that on wide rims arent very forgiving if you try driving it very low on air--I found out the beads UN seat a lot easier than when they are mounted on skinny rims--trying to limp a 1/4 mile to the air pump at the local gas station!:blush:
    I had to jack it up and since it was about 10 degrees out I used starting fluid to re seat the beads(a trick I learned from an old truck driver!)--its hazardous,but so isnt freezing to death ,or getting hit whole changing a flat!..:crazy: