Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

24 Ft camper and a Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jul 24, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok maybe lounge material, or towing, but it does have to do with trucks /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif So I am at work yesterday, and out Command Master Chief comes in. For those that don't know thats an E-9 in charge of a command highest enlisted rank in the military blah blah blah been in for like 29 years. Anybody that does know knows that once a person attains a position like this his/her mindstate changes, and nobody can ever tell them they are wrong ever again because they have been on top for so long.

Anyway back to the story. He comes in telling us all about this new 24 Ft Dutchmann he bought. Really nice camper big shower double pop outs King size bed etc.. You know so we are all like thats cool ya know. So somebody mentions that he drives a car whatcha gonna pull it with. He says I bought a new Ford too....so everybody is thinkin SD Powerstroke or something similar, and he continues Ranger XLT. At this point I almost had to leave the room to contain my laughter. People are now politely asking him if he really thinks that is a good " TOW " vehicle??? He assures everybody that he checked it all out, and it will work fine. This is where that I am never wrong thing is gonna [darn] him /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif He even taked to somebody that said they would sell him a special hitch, so the truck will pull it easier. I am assuming this is a weight distributing hitch.......

with rocket boosters mounted on it /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Well anyway a few more people try to tell him that "might" not be enough truck for the job....he insists that it is /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I wish I could be there when he goes to pick it up, and I am waiting for him to bring it work to show it off, and I will have my camera waiting. I may even follow him when he transfers in here so I can take some pictures of the accident he is going to be involved in /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Specs (just thought i would check)
    Ford
    4.0 Liter V-6
    207 Hp @5250
    238 Tq @3000

Curb weight
    3193 Lbs /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    5860 max towing with automatic 4x2 supercab 6 ft box.
    3400 max towing with manual 4x2 supercab 6 ft box

Higher than i though but still not gonna work /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Dutchman Specs

OK these are the unloaded dry weights for all 24 ft Dutchamn's

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Man is he going to be in for a suprise /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I hope he bought a good trailer brake controller... or else you might get to see rainbow-colored rotors!

Maybe he should've gone el-cheapo and saved a few bucks on the trailer and bought a real truck instead.

How much you want to bet that trailer is going to beat the piss out of that truck?

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it is interesting to me to see that a auto is rated higher than a manual tranny'ed ranger.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    it is interesting to me to see that a auto is rated higher than a manual tranny'ed ranger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the new trucks are that way -- computer-controlled automatics, I guess. Heck, try finding a new light-duty truck with a stick -- they just aren't out there. Once you get into 3/4 ton and bigger, they're more common, if for no other reason than the autos today don't seem to stand up to the big blocks and diesels so well. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-- A

6. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the new trucks are that way -- computer-controlled automatics, I guess. Heck, try finding a new light-duty truck with a stick -- they just aren't out there. Once you get into 3/4 ton and bigger, they're more common, if for no other reason than the autos today don't seem to stand up to the big blocks and diesels so well. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-- A

[/ QUOTE ]

*GASP* maybe if people would ORDER their vehicles instead of going lot-shopping they'd get what they want. 20 years ago more vehicles than not were ordered... now something like 6% of GM's vehicles are ordered.

If I'm going to spend $40k on a car or truck you can be damn certain I'm going to get the one I want... even if I have to wait 8 months.

7. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

that will be the day when your driving something new. take a picture, and send it my way.

8. CyberSniper

Mark my words, I'll either have me a new GTO or a fifth gen F-body if they ever decide to bring 'em back.

But yeah, I'll probably keep buying old junk.

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Man is he going to be in for a suprise /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

don't think too badly of me because i too am a Navy Chief. But i would never do what the MCPO is doing with the ranger. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

*GASP* maybe if people would ORDER their vehicles instead of going lot-shopping they'd get what they want. 20 years ago more vehicles than not were ordered... now something like 6% of GM's vehicles are ordered.

If I'm going to spend $40k on a car or truck you can be damn certain I'm going to get the one I want... even if I have to wait 8 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out here in California, land of sunshine and land sharks, it seems as though the dealers just WON'T order vehicles -- you buy what they have, or you go away. They don't seem to want your business, they just expect it.

That said, I'm done buying new vehicles, and I'm sticking with mid-70's Chevy trucks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

12. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I'll bet the place he goes to get the trailer wont even hook it up!!!

a ranger pulling anything bigger then a 2-quad trailer...is just WRONG!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll bet the place he goes to get the trailer wont even hook it up!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

If the trailer dealer has any common sense and/or integrity, they won't.

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

And hence, that is a problem- Common sense and integrity. Both of which most people are lacking nowadays.

The guy will probably sell him a trailer- Even well knowing that the tow vehicle isnt adequate. Why? Cause if you tell a customer that his vehicle is inadequate for your trailer, not only will he be insulted (cause he listened to someone else who told him he could), but your also gonna loose a big sale. So he will just go to another person who will sell him what he wants. Someone without integrity.

You know what happens to the guy who tells the truth and wants his customers to be safe? They close down, their not in business anymore, and they disappear. The truth is often more painful than sweet lies, but people will go back and pay money to listen to lies over and over. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif