Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

24 volt starter...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by HD, Mar 15, 2004.

1. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

My starter went out about 2 weeks ago and I went to a junk yard and got a starter off of a military Blazer. It cranks really slow, even though I have 2000 CCA form my batters. So today I thought about the starter coming out of a military Blazer and thought that it was a 24 volt starter. So my question is; is there a way to change it to a 12 volt starter, maybe by changing the solenoid?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My starter went out about 2 weeks ago and I went to a junk yard and got a starter off of a military Blazer. It cranks really slow, even though I have 2000 CCA form my batters. So today I thought about the starter coming out of a military Blazer and thought that it was a 24 volt starter. So my question is; is there a way to change it to a 12 volt starter, maybe by changing the solenoid?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Nope
    If you were the adventurous guy, and knew enough in electric components, you could go in and reconnect the windings to work with the 12v. But it's not as simple as just the solenoid.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

having same exact problem with an oldsmobile 350 engine, it cranks reaaaaaaaaal slow, with both batteries all way charged up, if it doesnt start up soon then it will probably go into shredder :/

dunno

good luck

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could connect your 2 batteries with a switch for starting to get 24v. It's not that hard.