Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

24 volt to 12 volt conversion post.... help

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jp0863, Aug 14, 2006.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i know i have seen it before. i am thinking about converting from 24 volt to 12 volt on my k5. i know i need to get a starter and somewhere i found a post that covered the conversion, but now i cant find it. anyone know where it is? thanks.

2. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You can pickup the gear reduction starters on ebay for about $100 brand new. Not rebuilt.

4. jp0863

thats what i was looking for, thanks... anyone done the conversion before? is it difficult? anyone have the part number for the starter? thanks

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  5. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

It's pretty easy following the instructions, I think there is 3 different options depending on what you want. I did 12V with both batteries in parrallel. I didn't reuse the battery cables, I made new ones, and I removed the drivers side alternator wiring all the way back instead of just folding over the ends. Only problem I encountered was brittle wiring that didn't like being rebent so it had to be replaced. I also didn't have a condenser on my passenger side alt, which was supposed to be removed. Any questions, just ask.

6. jp0863

cool deal, thanks a bunch. planning on getting some of my projects done soon, all at once so i'm gearing up ahead of time.