Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

241 4to1 gearsets anyone gots?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rockink5, Dec 14, 2002.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Is anyone here using these gears in there 241? curious to how strong they are, and if any problems. I know I could run a doubler and have the same reduction, but I would like to stay with one T-case. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

Thanks

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

haven't even heard of them...got a link?

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Got this from CCRider in another thread. First I had heard of a name of who made them. Thought it was a myth. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Gear sets

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I was kinda curious about this myself. I know of some in Jeep's with the 231 case but I'm curious too on the 241 in a 5000+ pound K5. I figured it out today, with the amount of money I'll save building a th400 instead of the 700r4 it will damn near pay for the cost of the 4 to 1 gears. Also like you said you can do a doubler which I plan to do in my 89 but I'de rather stick with 1 transfer case in Donna's 90. I hope somebody here will have some feedback. I'm thinking about e mailing the co. that makes the kit and see what they can tell me.

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

might check some jeep bulletin boards, lots of jeepers have used their stuff /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The December 2002 issue of 4Wheel & Off-Road has an article on the new NVG241J Rock-Trac transfer case that's going into the new Jeep Rubicon Wrangler. It shows some great pics of the internals of the new t-case and also compares the gears that NVG is using to get the 4:1 ratio to one of the aftermarket gearsets that can be squeezed into a 231J. The aftermarket gears look absolutely tiny compared to the parts going into the 241J! Here's part of the text: "Aftermarket designs use a two-stage pinion in order to maintain a fit into a stock 231J case dimension. The two-stage design works well for low-horsepower applications but is a limiter for high output engines and big tires."

I'd guess that the aftermarket 4:1 gears have to be very similar to fit into a standard 241. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The good news is that the article goes on to say that New Venture Gear plans to sell complete 241J transfer cases to the aftermarket. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'm sure that the cost of entry won't exactly be cheap, but you can get details from the folks at www.jbconversions.com NVG had to make the case larger and stronger in order to meet the design specs. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

If you look at the site that sells the conversions , you would see that the price includes a new front case half to accomodate the planetary , stock = 2.72:1 reduction , theirs 4:1 reduction . 1400$ plus , I talked to stephen watson and he can do a doubler right now with a 241 case and then you get even lower gearing than the standard doubler , the only drawback is the length!! I guess would probably be 6" longer than a standard doubler setup , thats using a SYE on the 241 , and also don't know how much you could get away with rotating a 241 with it's hokey oiling system!! Just some thoughts , could be rambling. ....................CC /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I talked to Watson awhile ago on the 241 doubler. Only problem is nobody knows how it will hold up to the extra torque going into it. The fun part is there is only one way to find out.

10. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I believe dodge had a heavy duty version(wider chain) that they used in the diesels for a while , that's some torque!!! I wish someone knew if you could swap the wider chain and gears into the 241c...........Anyone............Bueler...........Anyone....... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yes they did. I don't know if it would be worth all the effort to swap or try to swap into a GM case. It's great info to try and come up with though. I actually believe the stock 241 would take it though. They are a very strong T case.

12. HarryH3

There is some slight machining of the case that is required to install the aftermarket 4:1 gears. But the "extra size" is nothing compared to what NVG has done with the 241J to accomodate their real 4:1 gear set. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The case is MUCH larger than the older 241's. There are some great side-by-side pics in the article I referenced above.

JB Conversions gets $1,600 for a complete, brand new, 241 with the 4:1 gears. The designation for the aftermarket model is 241OR. I didn't see on their website if it's available with a passenger side front output though.

13. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    JB Conversions gets $1,600 for a complete, brand new, 241 with the 4:1 gears. The designation for the aftermarket model is 241OR. I didn't see on their website if it's available with a passenger side front output though

[/ QUOTE ]

Now is that for 241J or for a retro'd 241? Chances are thats for a drivers side drop. It's probably for the Cherokees

14. HarryH3

Click the link and see for yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The pic looks like the 241J, but there aren't any details. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Back to the top.

16. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to get some info...

Just be patient. I've been talking with New Venture for a little while. Hoping they can shed a little light on things for us. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif