Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

241 Clocking ring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Sep 1, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Well I just got my one inch body lift from ord and my clocking ring will be here friday so let the fun begin. The question I have and I am sure it has been answered but I couldnt find the post. For those of you who have clocked your 241 have you noticed any cooling issues. I will be going to the farthest point and dont want to be having issues. (This truck is driven daily when it works). Also how did you hook up your linkage. Did you have to modify anything?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

no cooling issues with my truck. i had to modify the linkage.

i went to the farthest point, the only issues i had was the clearance for the exhaust. i fixed that by moving the mount over 1" when i made my crossmember. but that created more problems than i wanted. i had to lengthen my linkage by 2" but others said that theirs was with in adjustment. i also run full length headers, the drive shaft rubs bad on the collector flange. my truck is stock height so with a lift it may not, ill find out hopefully today though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

for the crossmember, all i did was take some 1.5" .120 wall tube and weld some angle iron on the sides, take some 1/4" and bend it in a wide "U" to fit around the mount and notch the sides so it fits on the tube. the mount is level with the bottom of the tube which is level with the bottom of the frame. you can't do the same with the other poositions because the drive shaft would go through the tube.

i did it to a truck and needed on body lift, the tcase does rub on the floor and gets anoying when going slow with radio off. (squeek squeek) let me know if you need any pics or have any other questions. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Pics would be great. Especially of the crossmember and linkage. I am planning a belly pan for my project in welding class. How much did it extend or shorten youre driveline slip.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Mine is up all the way using the ring and an ORD 1" BL. I had to adjust the linkage out some, but nothing major. I've been driving it like this for a while (daily driver) and it has done fine (knock on wood) The exhaust cleared just fine, but it's a crappy design to begin with. The front drive shaft is too short and the angle on the CV is a bitch, but some grinding should help that out (once I get the shaft lengthened) The rear driveshaft is too long, need's either an inch taken out, or the axle moved back an inch (I'm going with option B on that one)

That's all I can think of. Make sure you use loc-tite on the ring and lots of RTV to get it to seal. You don't want to have to take it all apart again (ask me how I know)

5. big83chevy4x4

yea i know, i put lots of silicon on it but it still leaked, i wiped the oil off and speared silicon where it was leaking out of and no leaks as of yet.

my driveshafts were perfect length, front and rear. but then again, my truck is still stock. i did have to grind the stops off it to get it angle friendly. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Pictures of crossmembers and other parts of this mod would be a big help for some of us thinking about it /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yea i know, i put lots of silicon on it but it still leaked, i wiped the oil off and speared silicon where it was leaking out of and no leaks as of yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine leaked like I hadn't used ANYTHING. It got squeezed into one of the unused holes when I bolted it up /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I tried to just pack the area with RTV, kept going /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif had to tear it down the next night and put it all back in place. Used damn near a whole tube this time, includeing sealing up all the

[ QUOTE ]

my driveshafts were perfect length, front and rear. but then again, my truck is still stock. i did have to grind the stops off it to get it angle friendly. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

With 4"-5" of lift, I didn't have much chance to have decent angles /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I still gotta fix that stuff though. The rear works great from daily driving, but the front had about 1/2" of engagement in the splines /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

KP

8. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Drivelines have already been lengthened from stock but both my axles are already moved 1.5 inches out. When I put in the 63's it should move my axle back some more so that will fix the angles in the rear (but that wont be till after blazer bash). The front driveline we will just have to see. Are there any pics of your linkages or crossmembers for either one of you? I appreciate all the info. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Don't sweat the linkage, all you gotta do is adjust /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Check out this post for the most rawkingest (new word) mod AFTER the clocking ring I've ever seen in my short days on the earth...

I'm still running the factory crossmember, I'm waiting to get my new rear shaft w/ CV so I can raise the case back up. THEN I'll make the new xmember...

KP

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Who was it again that was selling the rings? Wasn't there a member on here. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. big83chevy4x4

dp_90k5

i will get a pic of my crosmember today, need to clockmy tcase down so i can lift my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Why do you hav e to clock it down? Mine is lifted will I have issues?

13. big83chevy4x4

my driveshaft is perfect with the stock height and clocked all the way up. if i leave if clocked, i will need about 2 or 3" longer drive shaft. thats what kyle has. i don't have time to lengthen it either. so the only thing i can do is clock it down.

AFAIK the only problem would be the length /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BTW its gonna be a rush tommorrow and i don't think im gonna get the pics till monday

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You guys all sure that the stock saginaw CV is up to the angle produced by this "clocking"?

I'm not so sure it is, even with generous grinding.

15. big83chevy4x4

i ground mine and is perfect. it will go all the way to the ground /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

16. big83chevy4x4

i got my front driveshaft back together with the lift. i have about 1.75" spline enguagement. i need to lengthen my driveshaft 2" to be perfect. but it fits and works. i think the ujoints will bind before the splines will come apart. ill get some pics in a few minutes if i can find the camera

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys all sure that the stock saginaw CV is up to the angle produced by this "clocking"?

I'm not so sure it is, even with generous grinding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it? Prb not, but to be honest, I'd rather grind the hell out of it and SEE if it works before I bought a shaft for 10 bajillion dollars either. What's my cost? $1.25 in grinding wheel material.

Then again, it's not like there's enough spline engagement for it to matter much right now anyway /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

grind the cv and make a square shaft out of the yokes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. big83chevy4x4

kyle, you only have 1/2" of spline enguagement?
    when i lifted my truck, i never disconected teh driveshaft and it pulledout. i measured the splines before i put it back together. there was 3.5" of splines and this is what i have after i put it back together
    [​IMG]

i have 1.75" of spline enguagement and it never poped out even after catching a little air.

i have about 8" of down travel before the CV binds. the CV binds before the front ujoint does, but its close behind. for now i think im gonna lengthen it my self and work out all the bug of everything before i give HAD a call.

20. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure why my front shaft is so short, but it is :shrug: Maybe it got swapped out before I got the truck or something.

I'm lifted 4", plus the 1" t'case drop and a full clocking up puts the shaft at dang near seeing daylight /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't get it either. I may mess around with it some this weekend and see about making it a little longer. I've got some tube at the house that should sleave over pretty nice /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KP