Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

241 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudman83, Apr 25, 2005.

1. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am rebuilding my 241 transfer case and have seen many posts that say to change the chain when you rebuild your case. Is there a way to tell if it is worn because it looks ok and how far can you clock a transfer case before it starts hitting the floor of a stock balzer with no lift? The gear that drives the rear out put shaft and slides in and out of low and high range in the planetary is also showing wear on its teeth, is it ok if i left it or should i get a new one or is it possible to get a new one?
    Thanks for the help,
    Kyle

2. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can anyone answer how far you can clock a tcase before it hits the floor on a stock blazer and no body lift, or how to tell if a t case chain is worn?

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

When I rebuilt my 241, I had not a mark on my chain, but I'm convinced it was the cause of the failed range fork....I would say chain replacement is as crucial to a rebuild as bearing/seal kit... I got my parts from www.nationaldrivetrain.com (ship from Chi and Atl), and exploded view from www.motivegear.com (wholesale only) Total for bearing/seal, range fork, chain ran about $250 plus shipping...worth every nickel

Haven't a clue about clocking a TC

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

two hundred and forty one questions! Holy cow, that's alot of questions! Ohh...you mean the transfer case...silly me....

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HAHA

If the chain is burned and hard to roll, id replace it, otherwise, its prolly fine. Id put new inserts on the fork too.