Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

241 T Case Disassembly Help Needed ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Ok guys I got this far on my own, with only just a little help lowering it out from under the truck. I'm stuck. I do have an exploded view sheet but it doesn't say what/how to do it, and neither does the Haynes manual. How do I remove the chain? I'm replacing the main shaft. Please oh please I'd appreciate your help. I've been without a vehicle for 2 1/2 weeks. Now I have the parts and am ready to get this done!
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's been quite a while since I dis-assembled the 241 you got the parts from...but I seem to recall there were internal snap rings everywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif None were easy to pick out either. I'm pretty sure there is something on the front output side of the chain like a snap ring. Once that is removed the chain and both gears should come right off.

Is the mainshaft bent?

Rene

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

take the nut off of the front output flange and take the flange off, theh pull the entire lower shaft and sprocket off. slide the new chain over the top sprocket, and slide the lower one into the chain then pop it into the hole and re assemble.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. milspecjimmy

you do not need to take any of the sprockets off of the shafts.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. tRustyK5

I didn't have to remove the front output to remove the chain and gears on mine...

Rene

6. tRustyK5

Andrea is replacing the mainshaft...not the chain.

Rene

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

GET A BIG like 1-1/8 i think and take the big nut off the front output with 1/2 inch impact , then they should both slide out .

8. milspecjimmy

i just found it easier to take the whole lower shaft off instead of taking the snap rings off wich were a pain on mine.

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Yeah. It's *definitely* bent. While it was still on the truck Trevor had an idea. Started it up and put it in drive to spin that shaft. I was watching it go and it has a couple of inches of bend. It would have ripped up the new parts in a minute.

Ok thanks for the tips guys. I'm back out to the garage and will let you all know when it's done, or holler for more help! I'm going through Blazer-driving withdrawals! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You're the best! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. milspecjimmy

ahhh that explains it
    honestly that chain looks loose enough to slip off the sprocket any way. i did just the chain in mine, and did it the way i described above and it worked great, extra work if you are doing the main shaft though.
    doesnt the upper sprocket go on from the front to the back, ie you have to take the shaft out and take every thing off of it to get the top sprocket off?

11. tRustyK5

I guess it's 6 of one...half dozen of the other. That nut is pretty tight I'm sure, but the snap ring was a real beotch too!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

12. milspecjimmy

the nut was tight, but i also left it in the truck, so right when i took the front drive shaft off, she went into park and 4 hi, and out cam the impact gun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I got the shaft out (doing the happy dance!) but it has one of those beeeyotch snap rings on it. Happily, hub is bringing home the snap ring pliers from the shop /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. In the meantime, I am straightening out my leaf springs and tightening u-bolts. I'm giddy man, I tell ya! Do guys ever feel pretty good about themselves for doing this stuff?? I feel on top of the world when I can do stuff on my own truck. Accomplishment, that is the word. I called hub and said don't bother coming home without snap ring pliers and a Papa Murphy's pizza cause I ain't cookin' tonight /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear things are going back together! What carnage is left to fix after the t-case? I've got an itch to try out this new body lift and bumper /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Howdy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    After I get the case back in (woodstove is warming up the garage now) what is left on mine is the power steering pump and an alignment. Trevor's truck, on the other hand, needs a new front axle since he keeps breaking shafts. Time for him to go D60. I insist. He also needs a new tranny since he broke his from front to back /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and maybe a transfer case. He needs his front driveshaft shortened, also. He is talking spring before he hits the trails again /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Say it ain't so! His truck is out at Chris's house, the guy with the old Bronco. Chris has a big garage and offered it for Trevor to use.
    Also we want to get at least one winch before out next trip to the Pipeline /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Alright, time to get the housework done and get out in the garage!

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. nofeartruckin00

At least you will have one truck mobile again. That sucks to hear about Trev's truck, hopefully things go smoothly so the bank account doesn't start crying. But atleast you have a place to work on it indoors. If you two every need help (ha, yeah right, trev is an awesome mechanic /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif), let me know. Got trailer, will deliver /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That was a very nice thing for you to say about Trev's mechanical abilities. It seems to be a natural thing for him. I'm glad he can teach me what he knows and doesn't get mad if I mess up! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Our anniversary is a week from tomorrow and I'd love to surprise him with parts for his truck. I'm having a hard time locating a TH400 tranny and a pair of 1-ton axles. Do you have any leads down there? I can travel this weekend. He'll be gone hunting /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. nofeartruckin00

I'll keep an eye out for ya, and let you know if anything looks good.