Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

241 t-case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by steve_97, Mar 12, 2002.

1. steve_97

steve_97 Registered Member

Curious as to who makes a slip yoke eliminator kit for the 241 t-case, I know JB Conversions but are there any others?

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.highangledriveline.com>www.highangledriveline.com</a> Talk to Jesse.
    He's Ck5 too. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Great guy!

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I purchased one for my 241 from Jesse at high angle driveline. It came from a company called Bayou Jeep Parts in Sulfhur LA. Give Jesse a call and he can hook you up. This kit is a very nice kit.

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo71/aac>Here</a> is a picture of mine. I got the SYE and the 1350 shaft from Jesse @ High Angle. I am very impressed with the quality and ease of installation of this product. Also, this got rid of all vibration, even with 9" of lift.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Glenn from Bayou Jeep ROCKS. Very knowledgable guy. He deals with Jess a lot. Def. call Jess he can hook you up and last time I talked to him I about had him talked into a e-brake for it. He's not far from getting there so bug him /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Talked to Jess via email in the last week or so. He has the complete t-case mounted park brake kit available for the NP241 now. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Too bad it's not legal in my area. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

how is it not legal?
    medium trucks with hydraulic brakes use a transmission mounted drum parking brake.

8. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

mj

Know a guy who works for the local Power utility company. He said he was told that the only reason a lot of those trucks (a 5-ton line truck specifically) is allowed to run one is because they have a spooled rear. With an open diff like the new smaller line truck they just got; they were told it wasn't allowed to run the driveline brake. Reason being that the driveshaft would stop one wheel in an emergency braking situation but the other one would be free to spin backward with the open diff. If it was on slippery road conditions (snow or even rain), the vehicle could be sent spinning out of control.
    I haven't found anything banning it specifically in the Highway Traffic Act BUT I will check with the local MVR dept office. To be honest; I'd like to be wrong about it. At least then; I could get rid of the stupid Caddy calipers &amp; get Jess to send me a brake set-up with my new 1350 CV shafts. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'll check this further

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think he is full of it. I have never seen a commercial vehicle with a spooled rear, even a locker is kinda rare.
    anyway look under Uhauls and Budget rental trucks(easy place to find med duty hyd brake trucks), those are all open difs and the run drum brake on the tranny output.
    they also run hydro boost brakes with an aux electric pump for when engine is off

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Old Toyota Land Cruisers came with drum parking brakes on the t-case output, at least the '71 in my garage has this from the factory.

I also don't think there are many big trucks running on the roads with a spooled rear end. Imagine trying to turn on pavement with a 5-ton dually with a spooled rear! While theoretically possible, I don't think one rear tire is just going to start spinning backwards when using a t-case mounted parking brake. I've used the one on my Cruiser after losing the brakes and didn't notice any abnormal pulling.