Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

241 Tcase options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Feb 23, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I have a 241 tcase in my '89 Jimmy and I was wondering if there are any sort of lower gearing options for it other than say a klune v or other reduction unit. Since it is chan drive I am guessing there are not many options for it. Is there a better tcase that came factory that I could swap into my truck without alot of expense or hassle that would be stronger and have more lower gearing options? Also if i do endup keeping my case I am going to rebuild it and do a SYE, who has the best prices on a rebuild kit and SYE? And if I remember correctly you can choose what size yoke you want or if you want a flange with the SYE, is it more personal preferance or is one stronger than another?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't think there are lower gears for it. It is the lowest geared (factory) GM case. The 205 is the strongest, but the 241 is a good case. Downsides of it is the slip yoke and the aluminum case. JB conversions makes a Std short SYE kit for $199 right now (link on CK5 main page). Put a good skid plate under it, and you have a pretty reliable setup.

Oh yeah I believe you can get a bigger yoke...not sure on the flange. The yoke just requires a little milling IIRC.

3. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

$199 sounds pretty reasonable, Ithought they were in the $300 range. How are these things to rebuild? Are there any special tools needed to do it or can i do it in my garage with standard tools? Oh and are there any manuals or write ups out there on it?
    Thanks

4. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Oh and where can i find a clocking ring for they 241? It has the same pattern as a 208 so a ring for that should work right?

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

6. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The clocking ring above should work, or I bellieve DP_90K5 sells them as well. I think they are pretty strait forward to rebuild.

8. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

[stupid newb question] Did the 241 come in a drivers drop? [/stupid newb question]

9. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, in IFS trucks.