Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

241 v.s. 208

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaptCrunch, Mar 26, 2002.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Just was bs'ing and the question came up as why a 241 is regarded as stronger then a 208? I have heard it before but would figure the chain would be a weak spot in either....any thoughts?

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I know you can make the 241fixed yoke whick would make it stronger than the 208, but other then that I dont know the difference.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They seem the same to me (hell they look the same).

There are two things I hate about aluminum cases:

They all leak. No matter what, don't even try to tell me yours doesn't. I've seen vehicles with 20,000 miles on them that leak with aluminum cases.

Slip yokes just suck for many reasons and they're the only thing I hate more than the leaks.

Other than that, they're lightweight, strong enough to take a thrashing from the right foot, etc.

208 and 241 use the same parts kit for the chain so I'm not thinking either is stronger.

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I actually have Andy working on fixed yoke 208 parts for me... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif He's the man... now if UPS could stop dropping the ball and pick this crap up so he can get to work AI would be happy.

Yeah Tim... my 208 pukes all over... thus why I'm losing the slip yoke

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I always wanted a 4 speed anyway, so getting a 205 to go along with it was just a plus I guess.

I think I like the 208 linkage more for when doing a body lift though. The 205 I'll want to lengthen the shifter for, while a 208 you can just adjust it and it looks and functions the same.

6. DesertDueler

Both my 208s dont leak. I have seen a few leak, but not mine.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

me too , till i blow em up !! heheh Thanks Mikey !

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

LIAR! JUST SAY IT DOES!!!! lol

Seen a FEW leak? I've never seen one that didn't leak. I'm not saying they're not out there, but I used to work at a Jiffy Lube. I've been under a lot of vehicles...even new vehicles that are under warrenty have leaky transfer cases.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're ROUGH on 208s man. You've got to find yourself something else. I saw all your pictures.

My 208 held up well for 2 years, I even drove home one day about a mile when the rear shaft broke.

10. DesertDueler

I dont know why, but mine dont leak. I never even replaced the rear seals /forums/images/icons/smile.gif My buddies 208 in his dodge leaks though. But that has to do with hitting his crossmember against a really big rock at 35 mph. It bent the crossmember and shifted the case so it leaks where it bolts together.

11. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

The 241 are hard to find, I think they only came in '90-'91 blazer's & sub. for pass. side frt. drivelines.My gov. work truck was a 3/4 ton, '91 sub. with a 400 mated to a 241 & with a fix yoke. They say the 241 has a better lubrication sys. then the 208. I beleive the 208 are just as strong as 205 internally, but the alum. cases are not as strong as the cast.All the old chevy(81-87) military 1-1/4 ton 4x4 pickups run a 6.2 liter eng. 400 trans,& you guessed it, 208. laters.........

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not all the CUCVs have 208s. I'll look the next time I'm at my National Guard Armory and see what all of ours have.

208 is not nearly as strong as the 205. It's not even as strong as the 203. I'd put it equal to the 241 for strength. The 241 does have lower low range (2.72) as opposed to 2.61 for the 208.

DesertDueler, I have no clue how your truck rolled over and the transfer case still doesn't leak. Mine never leaked bad, but it was bad enough to notice.

My friends have had a lot of trouble with 208s leaking.

13. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

thats not even all of the pics ! i done in 2 and a half .... oh and im workin on the "SUMTHIN ELSE" MUHUAAHHA

14. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

A 205 is alot stronger than the 241 and 208. Internally it is gear driven, not chain driven like the 241/208. I've heard that the 241 is an upgraded version of the 208, can't remember why though.

15. DesertDueler

I dont know either Tim, but after it rolling, my charging system works better, and it starts easier, as in you barely tap the key and it starts. My TBId burb doesnt even start that nice /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Go figure

Dan

16. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

maybe it lossened up some of the crud somewheres /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    208s are strong enuff for me ,the internals that is argggh ima make a steel case for mine damnit ive had it , ok maybe really really thick aluminum ....ffff its late me go bed and dream machinist / whleeler dreams ...

17. DesertDueler

Just build a really thick steel skid plate for it so it cant hit anything.

18. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

When you say it leaks, are you talking about the case itself or the damn slip yoke. Mine leakes at the yoke, but I've never had any problems from the rest of the case.

19. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well

Until I let a dealership replace my shift fork pads; mine didn't leak either! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Bad4WD got it right; the big improvement is supposed to be in the oiling/lubrication sytem. The only other difference I know of is that the NP241has helical gear teeth while the 208 has spur gear teeth. According to an engineer I spoke to at New Venture Gear; this was done to reduce low range gear noise.

Other than that; like the others said. Not much difference other than the lubrication system. I wouldn't swap one for the other as a strength upgrade.

20. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

interesting; I think I'm the one that started this when me and Mike were chatting. I thought I'd seen on here awhile back that the 241 was stronger then the 208 for some reason.