Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

241 vs. 208 transfer cases , need info.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crossy, Mar 20, 2002.

1. crossy

crossy 1/2 ton status

#1.= I need some good info here. I have a 91 K5 241 t-case here that a friend wants to put in an old style truck [1970 4x4] . the 241 I have is supposedly worth some $$ because it has the VSS? on it . he is concerned that he can't make it work on his 70 and i said that since street rodders do all the conversions like that it should not be a problem finding wiring. he wants to know if he can just put the tall of a 208 on it ??
    #2.= Other than the VSS? , is this a direct bolt in for a 208 assuming they both have/had a 700R4 trans.?
    #3= why have i heard that a 241 is better than a 208? thanx for any input.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

(1) First off, if your friend wants to use his speedo cable on this t/case he can convert it to a manual cable instead of the electric vss. He would need all the parts rearward of the bearing housing. It would be a good idea to just make it a fixed yoke while doing a conversion though. The 208 tail housing will not bolt up to a 241.

(2) I am not sure if it will direct swap for a 208 case.

(3) The 208 case has a low range of 2.62:1 while the 241 has a low range of 2.72:1

3. crossy

crossy 1/2 ton status

well ,thanx for that bit of info anway. the fixed yoke would not be a necessity as he only intends the show circuit and urban duties. I wonder if the VSS could be converted to manual speedo without tearing the whole T-case apartusing GM parts . I do have a good parts man.