Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

24v help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Oct 19, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Someone please have the answer to this, I have two red tops I'm getting ready to run and a 24v winch, how can I hook these up so both get recharged and I can set up the winch to be the only thing getting 24 volts? Thanks

2. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

not sure how you can hook up 24v to a 12v system. If you have a mile marker 24 volt winch go to winchplus.com and they have the new coil packs to change it to 12 volt. there like 100.00 buck for the coil. and it is a direct replacement

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

you could..

You could use another battery in series with the one already in the truck,(so you get 24V)and only hook the winch to the wires coming off the second battery..IF the winch is not gounded thru the case,you'll have to check--just because it has a red and black wire does not mean its not grounded to the case too..you dont want any chance of 24V getting back to the vehicle! :eek1:

They sold special solenoids in J.C. Whitney to allow you to use 2 -12V batteries and send 24V to the starter only-(They called it a series-paralell switch)..you could use one of those..

You may find it will work on 12V almost as good,only slower and a bit less powerful--we had a huge 24V military winch off a army truck at the boneyard--we ran it off the 12V front end loader's battery,and we never stalled it or did it fail to pull what we wanted..don't know if the lower voltage might hurt the motor eventually..we never had any trouble--it never even got warm.. :crazy: