Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

24v jumpstart and inverter questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DukeBoy88, Jul 16, 2004.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I have a couple of questions about my stock M1008

1. If my batteries were to ever drain could I recieve a jumpstart in the normal fashion or would I have to have 2 other batteries donated from other vehicles connected in parrallel then connected to mine with jumper cables?

2. Is there any advantage to keeping the 24v starter? Does it crank easier than a 12v? It works fine but if it did go I'd have to convert it to 12v if I wanted to use a parts store replacement.

3. I'm looking at buying an inverter, and wanted to figure out how long I could run on batteries alone, does 1000ca translate into amp-hours? I couldn't find an amp-hour rating. the inverters I looked at shut off at 10v, at what point should a battery be considered to low to crank over the engine?

4. The sites for inverters that I've looked at say in order to run sensitive equipment like laptops or variable speed motors like drills I will need a pure sine inverter which costs more. does anyone have any experience running modified sine inverters with problems?

Thanks in advance

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Most laptop power adapters just rectify the source back to DC and run off of that anyway. I don't see it mattering what kind of wave you have when filtering out the wave anyway. I also don't see drills as being "sensitive" at all. It's just a motor. I suppose it is possible to see a slight change in performance, but I can't imagine it being damaging in any way. It would really depend on how ugly the wave is, you could always check it out with an o-scope. As long as it isn't just a flat out square wave you should be good. Even a triangular wave should be alright for tools and things that just convert back to DC. I use mine for almost anything.

3. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

1. If your battery system is low of power, its mostly because ONE of the batteries failed. In this case a jump start from one other battery to the bad one (no matter if its the front or back one) is all it needs.

If you want to jumpstart with 24v, the donor batteries have to be in series (not parallel!) with one clamp on the negative pole of your front batt and the other on the positive pole of the back battery.
    Don't try this with the donor batteries installed in 12v vehicles. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

2. A 24v starter will pull half the current than a 12v one. Don't know if the wiring to the CUCV starters is strong enough for double the current.

Greetings.Walter