Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Jan 7, 2004.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I have just recently switched to the Standadyne performance formula, new air filter, messed with the pump timing, just some general tinkering. I went to fill up today, and it has been a while. I figure out the MPG, and it is up to 25.1 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I double checked the math 4 times, and it all came out the same. Damn am i glad i dint buy a K5 with a small-block. My mom and sister both drive honda's, and my truck, which is about as aerodynamic as our house, gets better mileage than both of their cars /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I love my 6.2 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome to the world of Diesels.

I once got 27 mpg out of mine, but that's when it was half ton with 3.08 gears and no weight in the rig!! Now that its 3/4 ton 3.73 ratio, boggers, lots of tools n stuff in the back it won't get as good!!

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I was plenty happy before getting a solid 20. I didnt think i could be happier with my mileage. I guess i was wrong.

4. OFFRDK5

And you'll find out that it likes pulling things. My Diesel runs cooler and better when I got a trailer behind it!! Mine isn't happy right now because I haven't really done much with it lately. But I told her that I would be hooking a trailer up to her and dragging some appliances around the country....now its happier. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

O, ive already dragged arround a few things, and it doesnt break a sweat. tRusty knows what im talking about /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I found out 2 things that night, the 4.7L in the Dakota is not all its cracked up to be, and R/T's need a locker. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

But yes, it doesnt seem to mind the trailer behind it, i just need to get my 3/4 ton gear bolted up and then it should really like the loads.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And you'll find out that it likes pulling things. My Diesel runs cooler and better when I got a trailer behind it!! Mine isn't happy right now because I haven't really done much with it lately. But I told her that I would be hooking a trailer up to her and dragging some appliances around the country....now its happier. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the older diesels run very bad without a load.
    My perkins smokes white real bad when there is no load but when I load it up it runs nice and clean. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. woods

woods Registered Member

Wheres the best place to pick up some stanadyne formula. I want to use it for when I going snowboarding up in the mountains, I live in colorado springs,co. A place in town or which website offers the best price to purchase it from would it work great, also a member of www.thedieselpage.com so dont know if they have a members discount there on it.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I don't use stanadyne, I use the walmart special, I think it's called specialty diesel performance???
    Anyway it works pretty good. and it's not expensive and you can get it at any walmart.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I was using the gas city special before, but between that and the stanadyne there seems to be a difference, not much of one, but there is one. I get mine from Midwest Fuel Injection , but i also have a local shop to pick the stuff up at.

10. OFFRDK5