Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

250-6 install

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rusty68, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I have a 250-six that is turbocharged from a 69 truck project that went way of a 396. Anyhow, I was thinking of putting this motor in my 68 4x4 just for somthing different. Anybody have any pics of this motor in a 4x4? What about the motor crossmembers? I do know in the 2 wheel trucks they are different between the 250-and 292 motor mount locations. Will the 2 wheel drive motor stands work with the v8 motor mounts? Thanks for any help here.

2. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

my 81 jimmy has a 250 six in it from the factory. i am beginning a project to put a 350 v8 in it. my local mechanic said all id have to do is swap motors, so the mounting points and tranny should work, but as yours is a 69, it might be different. only one way to find out though.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

in 72-older anyways the pass side engine mount is forward more than driver side one is, forward is v8 position, not same mount brackets as v8 ones, but can work.
    i dont thinjk i have any 69-72 blazer gm specs sheet packs currently to see if 292 was even available in them befroe 73 when the wheel base of all models was increased which allowed more engien compartment length, 250 was standard equipment 6cyl in all C/KS chevy models 67-72 and 283 was standard v8 in 67 C/KE models and 307 for 68-73 C/KE

good luck

4. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I'm not the detroit expert, but I don't think any 292s were factory in any K/5s. From what limited data I've scraped off the net, 250 L-6 was the only non- V8 dealer option in 1st/Gen Blazers. If some stubborn and/or excentric buyer insisted his special -ordered Jimmy or Blazer have a 292 so he could get back up to his mountain, well I'm sure it could be done for cash. I just never heard of it before. -- Not that the idea of a ... stripped, cutaway-doored, bikini topped, roll caged, 72 Blazer with a 292 with lump ported 305 intaked head, Stage II cam, Rhoads lifters, forged pistons .060-over, Offy intake, Carter AFB 500 cfm carb, HEI, metal/ceramic baked- Clifford headers, to a SM465 tranny with an NP205 hookup. Maybe doublered TC, Posi rear, locker front on 235/85 R16 knobbies? -- hasn't crossed thru my head...Anyway250 L-6s have symmetrical mounts -- same on each side.292 L-6s have the Pass side mount forward, because the 292's fuel pump is opposite to the drivers' side engine mount.The drivers side engine mount is in the middle of the block, same as on a 250. No-one knows why. Some think that GM had to have the fuel pump in the middle on the 292 for some reason. I like to hope that the GM engineers knew what they were doing and changed the mount stance for this specific engine to counteract its extreme torque rotation. Hope this helps.

5. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Yea I have heard that the 292 mounts are in different locations. The 292 six was offered as a option in my year truck. What I am most wondering is HOW are the 250 mounted in? The 2 wheel trucks have a different engine mount then the v8 do. I think they are taller. So the question in mind is how to go about mounting the block to the V8 mounts in my truck now? Maybe find a engine crossmember from a 6 cylnder 4x4 is the only option?

6. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Rusty, Sorry, I was sorta sloshed last night and didn't answer your question directly. You would do well to follow up these leads:Inliners International Inc. http://www.inliners.org/ Tom Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Co.http://www.stoveboltengineco.com The Stovebolt Page (no relation to above)http://66.221.101.248/bboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi The Inliners have a real good b-board and are very knowledgeable on the subject of L-6s. [Also inline 4s & straight 8s.] They can help you there.Tom Langdon is a nice guy, and makes an engine mount adapter set, but I'm not sure if it's to mount a later engine in a frame designed for pre-'63 engines or what. He has a catalog.He's very honest and low priced. I just got sent a set of pushrods for my '68 292 project for $35 when the Chevy dealers in Tucson said they could only special order them for me at $11 each (x 12)! PAW said they were N/A, Summit and Clifford would've had to put me on backorder. You can talk to Tom direct at 586/739-9601. He may be able to set you up.The Stovebolt page is sometimes fun, but sometimes they're more concerned with the previous generation of L-6s-- 235, 261, and GMC 270 and 302.I'm in the process of rebuilding a 292 for my '68 C/10 stepside. It's the original engine -- sidelined for 26 years while I ran the hell out of a '67 .030-overbored 292 block. My 71 Jimmy has a 350, but especially offroad, I miss that low end high torque growl. Have fun, Brian Inliner 4101