Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

250 for a 350

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 250blues, Apr 11, 2001.

1. 250blues

250blues Newbie

i am having problems with a engine swap. i have a 1972 k5 blazer. it has a 250 six cylinder in it. i have put a 350 small block in it. i am having promblems with the clutch setup on it i dont have a bracket to use on the block. the one on the frame is still there. does anybody have any suggestions.

2. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean. Are you talking about the clutch pivot rod with that screws into the threaded boss in the block? The pivot rod mounts between boss in the block and the mount on the frame.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

3. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

What problems are you having?

I'm not sure what the 250 had for the linkage assebly, but you'll need a ball stud, a z-arm and the z-arm bracket (can be bolted to frame) to set up the clutch. The ball stud can be purchased from GM, but you'll have to get a z-arm and the bracket from a wrecking yard.

Give me an idea of what you are working with/against and I can give you some more info when I get home.

Dave S

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

He doesnt have a ball stud mounted on the flat steel wih the two holes in it to bolt to the V8 block.
    he has to find one, and a V8 Z bar, also.
    6 cyl stuff wont work.

Good luck.

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", Olive green and primer, rusted out, rice smasher!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by R72K5 on 04/12/01 10:47 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

OK, there is no bracket that mounts to the V8. You need the ball stud (aka "block ball"). I hate the ball stud that is made for the trucks. I am now using a superior one from my Firebird parts collection (same as for a Camaro), as the seal is in a different place. You also need a clutch countershaft for a V8 4x4, an upper pushrod for a V8 4x4, lower pushrod for a V8 4x4, and lower pushrod adjuster for a V8 4x4 (and jam nuts for the adjuster). I did away with the adjuster because it's a horrible kludge. Instead, I installed a spherical rod end on my shortened lower pushrod. It is much smoother and will last longer than the stock adjuster. There's a pic on my web site if you want to look at that.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

URL ?
    What year are these bird parts ?

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", Olive green and primer, rusted out, rice smasher!

7. 250blues

250blues Newbie

i found out what the promblem is. i talked to lousiana offroad this morning and the place were i bolt the ball stud is not drilled or tapped. there is no place to put it. i also found out that the 350 is really a 305. so i need to finnd a 283 or 350 that as a threaded hole for a ball stud thanks

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Oops... URL is:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/BlazerPix.html>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/BlazerPix.html</A>

The ball studs are for a '70-1/2 through /'81 Firebird or Camaro.