Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

250 or 292 I6 with FI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Did GM ever fuel inject the 250 or 292 inline six? I want to put a 250 or 292 in my next trail rig, and I want to fuel inject it. If GM did inject them what years, and how hard is the swap? If not does anyone make aftermarket FI for them? If not, how well does a factory style 1 brl carb run at extreme angle?

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

They never injected them. But i had no trouble with the factory monojet(older style) carburator at steep angles on my 292.I loved that engine, It just didnt like 5500 rpms for about 12 minutes at full load.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Ben427's right GM never offered the 250/292 w/ fuel injection. I am installing a T.B.I. set up on my 292 now.
    I am using all GM parts w/ the exception of the intake and adapter for the throttle body.
    Call Turbo City , they offer a complete kit .
    If you stay w/ a carb. use the older style - the ones that came in the early eighty's on the intergrated heads absolutely sucked .
    Good luck , Tom
    I am using a T.B.I. set up from a 305/350 engine.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

A TBI setup from a V6 would not be too hard to adapt. Not much different than adapting the factory stuff off of a small block to an original carb engine.

I would look for a setup from a 4.3L V6 (262 CI).

5. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

GM never had a FI 250, or 292ci In-Line six, in fact I am I think that the In-Line Six motors were discontinued by GM in '86, the last year that carbs were used.

I have 2 trucks that have a 292ci in-line, a '74 Custom C20, and a Custom C30. Both have a monojet one barrel, both run great, I use the C20 some times out in the hills and prefroms good a about any angle.

Thay are hard to find "I am still looking for one" but in the mid 80's a person could gett a in-line six with a factory split exhaust manifold for dual exhaust dont know if that would halp you with anything but I thought I would mention it anyway.