Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2500 Burb Advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HoodRich, Jan 14, 2007.

1. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

After reviewing my situation, (wedding in June, still in school 2+ years left, and practical needs) I have decided that I would really like a 2500 Suburban as a DD/Tow rig. I know it won't pull like either of my fathers cummins trucks or a superduty but it will be better than driving the k5 to wheel. I am posting here because I want some serious opinions about choosing between the 454 and the 6.5, it seems the 454 should have more power although worse mileage towing and as a DD. Considering mileage, mpg (towing and DDing) and longetivity of the truck which of the two would you look for?

steveo

2. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Diesel. Better for both DD and towing.

3. twodollars

twodollars Registered Member

Yeah, diesel. My 95 had a big block tbi engine in it - what a turd. Swapped it for a blown 6.5. More power and picked up about 7 extra mpg.

4. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at two diesel burbs right now both 95's one with 144K and the other with 172K. Whats the life expectency on these with routine service? Any things to check on the 6.5 right off?

5. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

My parents had a half ton when I was younger, but they had problems with the injectors or something, someone who knows more about them could maybe explain this further.

6. twodollars

twodollars Registered Member

The injection pumps are somewhat problematic, but I doubt that at over 140k either one of those two trucks have the original. With good maintenance, they will pass way beyond 200k. Don't be scared by what looks like "low" oil pressure at hot idle, 10 psi is not uncommon. As long as pressure rises with RPM it's fine. At that mileage I would consider new nozzles and glow plugs, along with the normal filters and fluids.