Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$2500 running/driving '85 K30, for parts....??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Sep 10, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

$2500 running/driving \'85 K30, for parts....??

Hey y'all,
    I posted an ad in our local ad trader looking for K30 parts for my K5 buildup. I had a guy call me last night and offer me a 1985 K30 4x4 4-speed with 4.10s, positrac rear end, pipe bumpers, recovered bench seat, carb'ed 305, rusted out rockers, and rusty cab corners for $2500 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I really wasn't looking to buy a whole truck, but that sounds like a helluva deal. The wife wasn't too happy /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif at the prospect of chunking down $2500, but I told her I could put the 10-bolts, TH400, and NP208 out of my truck in the K30 and sell it for maybe $1500?? The guy said he just drove it yesterday so everything must be in decent shape. That would be nice since I am wanting to go manual too because I could swap pedal assemblies, tranny humps, and steering columns and have all of the needed parts at my disposal to make it work. What do y'all think? I'm inclined to do it if I can convince the boss it's a good idea /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, which might be tough since she is wanting to buy a new house this fall. Hmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif, the best deals come at the worst times. Maybe I could fix a little rust and slap a 5.9 Cummins in it and use it for my tow rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: $2500 running/driving \'85 K30, for parts....??

<font color="green"> Sounds a bit pricey to me for a rusty truck, but I'm biased since I'm from CA. Rusty trucks out here aren't worth squat. A 305 in a tow rig wouldn't be very much fun.</font>

3. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Re: $2500 running/driving \'85 K30, for parts....??

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> A 305 in a tow rig wouldn't be very much fun.</font>

[/ QUOTE ] That's why I would swap a Cummins in it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Of course with the Cummins governed at 2800, I'd definitely have to put some bigger meats on it to have any highway speed.

Yep, it is a bit high, but I think he would come down to at least $2000. K30s are really hard to come by around here for some reason. The thing I liked best was that it is running and driving so I know that everything is in pretty good shape for swapping. That takes some of the mystery out of junkyard swapping, but then again he may have everything full of STP and banana peels just to make the sale /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Thanks Shaggy.