Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$26 Complete Rear CV driveshaft Custom Built!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Mar 19, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I figured this was a garage type of post. One of the hardest thing for a daily driven truck is trying to get the suspension/axles built without downing the truck (lug changes, spring changes. driveshaft changes, lift changes.. total geometry changes , etc). While I think we'd all like he to buy the best all at once and just build it, it doesn't always work that way. So one of my big issues lately while prototyping all this shackle flips and 3 links setups is the dang driveshaft changing lengths and having everything set up for a CV shaft with no CV shaft. While theres no replacement for getting a good quality driveline from Jesse at High Angle... you probably shouldn't order it untill you know what geometry your going to keep on the rear of the truck. Hence my dillema, even I am not totally sure where I'll finally let it sit once the 14 bolt is in and I'm happy with the flex. So, I paid $20 a front chevy blazer CV shaft at the local junk yard that was in good condition ( was a spicer, not saginaw type). Did this mostly so I'd have a whole lot of common u-joints everywhere (been using a bastardized ford driveline for a while now.. total nightmare). The CV end fit beautifly onto the fixed yolk of my blazer but the bolt holes didn't mate up (CV was bolted originally, rear t-case was those mini u-bolts). So I filled in the CV's threaded holes with the mig and built the ends out a little bit, bead after bead on a flat surface then shaped and resurfaced the end. Drilled holes which matched my fixed yolk's and tapped it for studs. With the studs installed onto the CV and the CV reassembled, it slid on like a charm and bolted up. Last was the length issue , so I paid $3 for a length of tubing matching the CV shaft, marked and cut the ends of it (retaining the slip side) and retubed it to the proper length (another easy mig job - had to do the same on my ford driveline, making sure to slide an inner sleeve into each end to keep it straight and true). Well, it worked great and buys me valuable time to finish all the geometry and get the golden egg later (jesse's driveline that is). It was fairly easy as well. Oh, and I did a poor mans check of balancing by tying it up to the garage, hanging the shaft by a u-joint and tying a weight to the other end. When you spin it you can see imperfections. Since its temporary, I'm really not too worried about it. Anyway, just had to post since it worked out better than I'd originally expected!

Those front shafts are a dime a dozen, might as well take advantage of it! Hope this helps anyone else with the same dillema.

2. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

dam .....good job!

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good post

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Mike "CAN RIG ANYTHING BORREGO K5 "!!! haha good job dude , how bad does it vibrate ?!

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Actually, its smooth as glass. Finally have no vibes and still have 4 wheel drive . I say that because front wheel drive was smooth too, except for torque steer!

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That is really good info!! Thanks for the idea! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Andy, have you seen any tractor driveshafts that are indexed and drilled which allow you to unbolt them, slide them to change length and bolt them back up? Kinda like like extending the arm on a cherry picker but more permanent. Thats in addition to the slip joint. And, are you going to make it to Azusa?

PS. Ran the truck hard today, mostly high speed trail hopping. The rear CV is working out really well... I tried breaking the welds today by slamming the gas off the line, bouncing the truck up hill and compression braking it while bouncing on the way back down. So far so good..

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

no i havent , bcuuz i think that would create too much slop. and i dont think ill be at azusa ... my truck went back on the ooperating table muhuahaha yer gonna like this ...another Andys one of a kinds ..