Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

28 spline standard ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88Silverado, Apr 26, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 Silverado with the factory tow package and I believe 3.73 gears.
    I want to purchase a posi unit for it but I guess there are different spline axles.
    Was there a "Standard" spline axle they used on the 88's or do I need to pull an axle to find out?

Thanks

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

An '88 should have 30-spline axles in the rear. But unless you're certain that no one has ever swapped out the entire assembly, then you'll need to pull a shaft to be sure of what you have. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Just to be sure I pulled an axle today.
    It was a 28 spline and 3:73 gears.
    I assume the front is the same.
    Thanks for the input /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't assume. It could possibly be a 30 spline too. You never know unless you check. GM just might have had a 28 spline rear left and stuffed it into your truck and used a 30 spline front.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My info shows '88 could have 28 or 30 spline rear axle, while '89 shows 28 or 30 spline front axle.

Seems odd they would update the axle splines over two years instead of doing both in a single production year /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif