Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

29" long th400 Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Sep 13, 2002.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

29\" long th400 Q

ok regarding the TH400's in the mid '70's 2wd trucks('74 specifically)

now, lets say that hypothetically a person has one such tranny that has the bolted-on style output yoke.

now, suppose that the same person had another th400 of same length and everything, but that it didnt have the drilled and tapped hole in the tailshaft for use with the bolted-on style output yoke.. suppose that the latter tranny had tp be put in place of the HD tailed th400 first described above,,

could a regular light duty normal slip-on style output yoke be installed on the existing driveshaft and not have any effect on distance/length of the driveshaft ?

what do you think ?
    thanks for anything.,

thanks.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: 29\" long th400 Q

Uhhhh Let me see if I'm getting what your asking. You want to use the current driveshaft that is attached to a fixed yoke transmission on a Transmission with a slip yoke?
    NO. you would have two slip joints, one within the yoke and one within the drive shaft.
    What you might be able to do is put the fixed yoke onto the net transmission. It would require opening the transmission to do but it quite hoinestly is not as bad as you thin. Just need a new O-Ring for the pump and a new pump gasket. NAPA should be able to get you that. Pull the drums. Swap the output shaft and the tail cone.
    Now I am asuming that the TH400 goes under the same rules as the TH350 and has the bolt off tail.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

grim, good point there, didnt even realize the carrier bearign issue, oops,

th350 is a non bolt on style yoke, if i swap in 350 tranny then id be swapping to one piece driveshaft sinc ei have one of exact length that will work in that case.

thanks

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That fixed yoke 400 would be sweet for a prerunner truck with long travel suspension. I have never messed with the 400's so didn't even know there was a fixed yoke version.
    I would like to build a prerunner but if I do I'm going to put a OD tranny in so it will be respecatable on the hwy.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah, ive only seen these fixed tail versions on the shorty version(29" overall minus the yoke), but then any tranny of any model would have to have fixed tail with carrier bearing anyways and vice versa, so.,, heavier GVW like this usually required carrier bearing style driveshaft like what is under this 3/4 ton

thanks