Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

292 for crawling?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gm guy, May 4, 2004.

1. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    I'm wondering if anyone here has tried a inline six in thier blazer? I worked for a crazy old guy who had a bunch of 292's. He swore by them, they had a unique sound. Just wondering. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

i love my inline 250 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif wish i had a 292 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifmy truck is a stump pulling monster for being stock
    where are you?

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Inline 6's make alot of low end torque that is great for crawling. My next truck is going to be a tail only hardcore crawler and it is going to have either a 250 I6, 292 I6, or 350TPI. Crawling is all about low gears and lots of low torque. It suits the I6's very well.

Plus they get better mileage then a V8 and they last for ever.

Harley

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If I had one in the truck, I wouldn't swap it out, but I don;t think I'd swap it in when I can just get a FI 350 for cheap

5. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Yeah they are reliable motors for sure. I learned to do bodywork on a 68 J#*p Wagoneer. The truck had been mountain driven by this guy with the original 327 motor. He had some beater 292's and one rebnuilt with all new parts. The good one we put in after painting the truck, bored 292/th400 stage 2 slapshifter. Great truck.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I am running one in my Blazer . In fact I am building it this week and changing out the crossmember for the 292 today.

I have had many BBC's and SBC's in my 4x4's and I wanted to get back to a motor that pulled real well at idle for crawling so I decided on a long stroke in-line six cylinder . With a 4.120" stroke it pulls very well way down low.

I added a few things to help out in the power department:
    LPG pistons
    Throttle Body Injection w/ an Offy intake
    Crane Cam that is all low end
    A solid marine BBC flywheel ( balanced for the 292 ) that is very heavy
    and if all that doesn't help it out at idle I am hoping that the Doubler and 5.13's will do the trick.

I think that the 292 is a great choice for a crawler motor ! As said above they last forever !!!!
    Tom

7. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Damn right! a 292 with a good old monojet carb is as close to perfect for crawling as you can get, i could never stall my monojet out at any angle. With a 465 and 5.13s it worked sweet. And when you wind them out it almost sounds like a jet, just a woosh of air.

8. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

GM recreated these (i6) motors and put them in the Trailblazer. They are a aluminum block now,and fuel injected. I would be curious to see one put in a old truck and taken out in the mountains. I would think they would not be as strong as the iron motors but who knows with the technology out today! Anyway if I used a 292 it would be a old one, completely rebuilt to be (more of a) torque motor.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    GM recreated these (i6) motors and put them in the Trailblazer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those "new" inline engines put out more than some v-8's. Chevy Trailblazer has 275hp inline 6. The Colorado has an inline 5. Isn't technology something /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's neat that they are using a old design in a new way.

11. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, it's neat that they are using a old design in a new way.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are totally new designs, with balance shafts and a few other tricks. Even with Clifford parts and injection, I don't think they would of gotten the new power levels from the older engines. I still respect and love the older ones though /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    GM recreated these (i6) motors and put them in the Trailblazer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those "new" inline engines put out more than some v-8's. Chevy Trailblazer has 275hp inline 6. The Colorado has an inline 5. Isn't technology something /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy those TrailBlazer engines are something. We have one and I've wound it up close to 7 g's before. I don't know if there even is a rev limiter on them! The oil light was on for a while after that, but otherwise no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Thats cool. how many miles on it so far? Has it been as reliable as the old ones are?

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It is my understanding that the new GM in-line motors are a joint venture between GM and Toyota . Toyota has made some outstanding in-line sixes throughout the years and the later ones are really powerful. I would think that these new GM motors will be fairly good considering GM's past and Toyota's engineering expertise.
    Tom

15. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

How well would a 292 work on the highways?
    For the life of me I still do not know why GM did not/ has not put the inline 6 (4.2L) into the ZR2 or it's replacement the Colorado/Canyon.

16. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Maybe they did't want to put all their eggs in the same basket. We know the inline six is a good design, but they probly did not know hoe the public would catch on. Just my opinion though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

17. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    For the life of me I still do not know why GM did not/ has not put the inline 6 (4.2L) into the ZR2 or it's replacement the Colorado/Canyon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably for space considerations. The 5 cylinder puts out like a 6 cylinder anyway. The 6 cylinder puts out like a V8 and was deemed not neccessary in a smaller truck. Besides it helps them meet their CAFE numbers . That is whats important to THEM nowadays. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'm a 292 fan also. I had one in a '66 C10. It was the only 1/2-ton I've ever had that I could treat like a 1-ton. Compression braking is excellent with SM420 or SM465 trans.

The new I6 is huge. If you've ever pulled a 4.3L from a 94-up S10, you know how tight the engine compartment is.

From the numbers, design, and hype over the new I6 I was thinking it must get up and go like Toyota Supra /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I guess the Toyota influence isn't surprising.

I have a hunch the I6 will show up in the Colorado after a few years. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i love my inline 250 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif wish i had a 292 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifmy truck is a stump pulling monster for being stock

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I have got a few 250's right now and I love those engines. Lots of power and still good on gas, inlines rock /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

-pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

In answer to your question on how well will a 292 do on the highway - they are no high horsepower speed demon's but if you put the motor in its intended power band the torque feel is GREAT !
    The factory single barrel carb's are good for what they were designed to be ( economy and reliability ) but if a 292 is expected to be anything other than a work-horse a different style carb. will make a world of difference on the highway . Even a stock manifold adapted to fit a Rotchester 2bbl will make a huge improvement on throttle response on a 292 ( just as a note GM made a factory 2bbl manifold for the in-line motors but only offered it south of the border and over sea's ) .

In stock form a 292 is not exciting on the street but it will pull hard all day long and like it ......
    Tom