Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

292 I6 custom sheetmetal intake and tbi from a 305?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Sep 23, 2005.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

has anyone ever made a sheet metal intake? and also would a tbi unit off a 305 be sufficiant for a 292 I6?

balzer

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

nope...

I've seen "homebuilt" intakes on some V8 pulling tractors...I doubt they work any better than a factory setup..lots of work,and probably less efficient..

You can buy a 4 bbl intake from Clifford Research or J.C. Whitney that fits a 292,and use a Holley or Edelbrock EFI kit on it instead of a carb,or adapt a TBI off a similar sized engine using the computer that GM used with it..its going to get complicated and costly fast though,converting anything to EFI..I think a 390CFM 4 bbl carb and a cam would be much cheaper and run better in the end--unless the reason you want EFI is for off road use when its tilted or going up/down hills..

I think I read some mexico 292 motors had some sort of factory multi-port EFI on them ..dont recall if I read it here on CK5 or not..if so,that may be worth looking into..its always easier to use parts the factory invented and tested,rather than re-invent the wheel yourself.. :crazy:

3. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

It can be done, but it takes a lot of time and reverse engineering. Measure draw, measure, draw. I can't tell you how long it took me to do the project in the link. I am still not even done yet. If you have the machines to do it then by all means try it. If you have to pay someone to fabricate the box make sure he is your friend. :D

go here to see what I mean. http://www.tjsperformance.com/eatonm112.htm

T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status