Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

292 inline six info needed!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brady, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I can get a '65 chevy truck for free and am wondering about the motor.It has the 292 inline six in it.Is this a good motor?I am thinking of using it in a heep.Does it have any low end to it?Any info would help.Thanks Brady

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Should be a real toruque engine. The 292 is the Larger Inline. It was used in HD applications. Clifford Performance makes performance upgrades (Intakes, Cams, Etc...) Is there anything else salvageable from the '65?

3. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I just looked at quick.But i thnik it has the 420 tranny.It a complete 2wd 1/2 ton.Needs lots of TLC to be worth anything.Need some parts?

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The 292 was a pretty good engine. It has a good low end power. And was built pretty stout. But dont expect to get any kind of gas milage. For some reason they suck gas. They get worse milage than the old small block v-8s.
    If you want to build one here's a site where you can get performance stuff for them:<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cliffordperformance.com>cliffordperformance.com</a>

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have a 69 w/ a straight 6--dont know CI. never been opened up except for the nowmal maintenence. it is more reliable than my 2002 new car, true story--it sits most of the time, this time it sat for at least 9 months , hooked up the battery, turned the key and after t turns of the starter it was running. I can't believe how strong the thing runs. has at least 200,000 miles on it and is amazing. torquey as a mofo too.

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Don't "need" anything right now. Just keeping a mental log of what it out there. I am building a '66 Pro Street Short Box Fleetside, and I keep thinking that it would be nice to build a matching 4WD. Right now I don't really have the space or money to start anymore projects, but that hasn't stopped me before. Good luck with the projects.

7. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I've been running the 292 in my '68 pickup since a rebuild in '77 --250,000 miles. It burns oil now but still starts up every time.It has Clifford headers [3-into-2] Offy intake, 4bbl Holley 390 cfm, Mallory coil, block bored over .030. Forged pistons. Strong, torquey, cool-running. Bombproof. Just not fast (w/o major modification) it's a truck engine.About time to rebuild again. Getting my ducks in a row. I always wondered about putting one in a CJ5 or 7 but don't have any j**ps to play with.

8. KBK5

KBK5 Registered Member

They used them in the dirt track circuit for a while.Talk about coming out of turn 2 and 4!! Bottom end was great! They won't interchange with the 230's and 250's part wise though.

9. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I think the 292 head will bolt up to the STD/LDs but probably it has beefier springs or larger valves. Intakes and exhausts, Valve cover, and distributors are the same. The oilpan on a HD/TD (292) is deeper -6 Qt- than the 230/250s but would bolt on to the smaller blocks. Best book on the subject is: Leo Santucci's "Chevy Inline 6-Cylinder Power Manual" Publ by California Bill's, Tucson AZ, 2002.Besides the Clifford Forum, two other good sources are: , Hope this helps.

10. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Anybody see the guy in <font color=red>Hot Rod Magazine</font color=red> last year with the 30's Chevy car with a turbo'd 292 in it? Said it had torque coming out the wazoo, no lag, and was plenty fast. Kinda a complicated and expensive setup, but be a good truck engine if you wanted to keep the I6 and still have power for speed./forums/images/icons/cool.gif