Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2nd alternator and york 210

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, Feb 20, 2005.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I plan on trying to add a 2nd alternator where shown in the diagram and the york where shown.
    I already know that the york brackets will be all custom but i have seen a few pics of them on here and i am confident that i can fab them up.

But...Does anyone know if the brackets are readily availabe for where i would like to put the 2nd alt. I have the smog pump there now but i will remove it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

they make low mounts like that for alt. i think they will work on either side of the engine. they sell them in jegs, or most any high performance parts dealer.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I found out about the low mounts from Z3PR in my thread in Communications. I have looked at Jegs and Summit but they never show a pic of them mounted and i guess i just can't visualize it very well. If they are an off the shef item who would be the best place to call. That way i am sure to get the right part the first time.

4. boz42

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Perfect picture. Thanks.:thumb::thumb:

Anyone have any good shots of how they made the belt tensioner for a york mount (V-Belt)

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Have you called Jeg's yet ?? 1-800-345-4545. Sometimes they have stuff not listed on thier web site or catalog.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I am going to call tomorrow. Then i will head over ot the local race shop to see what he has on the shelf.
    I did call summit and the guy on the phone sounded clueless. All i wanted to know about the low mount brackets was this:

• Can i put my alternator down on the pass side without it interfering with the lower radiator hose?
    Answer was:

• Not sure.
    The conversation did not reassure me that i was going to be happy with the product so i did not buy it. I am sure that it will not be an issue though. Hopefully Jegs can answer my question.

8. boz42

i would be more worried about frame clearance than the radiator hose. u can easily modify the hose to work. the frame is not as easy.

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

True. Didn't think about that. I guess i will have to take some measurements.

10. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

You might have issues with having enough grooves on your crank and WP pulleys and making them line up. I think most of the low mount brackets are meant to be used instead of the regular brackets, not in addition to. Make sure you won't have to put 2 belts on the same groove, which, obviously, is impossible. Just something to consider and ask about before you order.

11. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

The 2nd alternator could run on the smaller pulley as part of the waterpump pulley(where the smog pump runs now.)
    The York can run on the 2nd part of the ps/wp/crank where the stock AC belt would go.

Blake

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I thought i drew it correctly. But from the sounds of it i did not. I drew out the belt positions from memory without looking at the truck. Either way the only belt that would be added from scratch would be the green one.

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What does a york 210 come from?
    Curious as I am starting to look at local yards for one...
    I hear a 70's-80's volvo you can get yorks from...
    I just dont know 160, 240, 760?????

14. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

15. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I was at pick-n-pull this weekend and there were about 10 Volvos, probably seven of them had York 210's in them. I saw a few Mercedes with yorks as well. I pulled a clean looking one out of a Volvo.

16. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

do you remember what year and models???
    I found 2 in the junkyard.. but they were really low... near bottom of motor on drivers side.. and gunky lookin too :crazy:

the york 210's are square tops like in the tech article right?
    I also called someone that had a 1981 volvo 260 and they said it was round and not a square...

17. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Don't those yorks have to be mounted upright? Am I the only one who thinks this?

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The yorks can be mounted upright or laid on its side.

19. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I didn't bother to check year or models because almost all of them had them. I was gonna grab as many as I could, but they closed before I got the chance. I got one off a volvo, 'cause it was the cleanest looking. Most were gunky too, and mounted low on the motor on the driver side, like you said. Its not too hard to pull the whole braket out after you take off the PS pump, then remove the york from the bracket after you've got it in your hands. I took about 45 minutes trying to pull one off a Mercedes that was mounted at the top of the motor and looked clean, but getting to some bolts required some serious contortionist skills, I was booted when they closed, and I only had one bolt to go. I think I paid $18.00 for the one I got plus an $8.00 core charge, so $26 for a york, not too bad. Like I said, most were covered with gunk like you'd find under most any hood, a quick trip to the pressure washer at your fave car wash cleans that up right quick. They were all the yorks with the big square top. You can lay yours on it's side and run it as long as the suction port is on top, I think, better double check that. Theres also a mod you can do to plug an oil port inside that is easy to do, I did it on a york I picked up a while ago. Theres a writeup online somewhere about the mod, and which port needs to be up if it's laying on it's side.

20. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whats the second alt for?