Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2nd Battery on drivers side

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by druehlman, Apr 21, 2003.

1. druehlman

druehlman Registered Member

Here it goes...

I would like to install a second battery on the drivers side of my 72 GMC Jimmy but am not sure of the best battery mount to use. I plan on using a hellroaring Battery isolator/combiner. Im trying to keep a clean look under the hood as we all are but I need it to be stout as well. I am curious if any of these trucks were avialable with a second battery option, so maybe one could be found at a junk yard?

Any way thats all I had.
    Thanks in advance.

Dave R

2. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

My knowledge doesn't go as far back as 72 but the 80s K-5s locate the 2nd battery(stock diesel)mirrored on the opposite side of the radiator. You could get the bracket from the wrecking yard for that setup.
    David

3. druehlman

That's were I want to put it but the 1980 hardware isn't compatable with the 69-72 front end, maybe I can adapt the rack to fit. I'm not a big fan of jerry rigging things.

4. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

hmmm, Ive had this discusion before with other people...I can't prove it with papers or factory option list..but one of 71 blazer parts truck has a driver side battery mount that looks factory in every way...it's stamped the same as the passenger side... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

6. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

David,

Here goes, the 69-72 did offer a second battery, but it was for the trucks only, it was for the camper specials and it's the $hit if you can find one. It was never offered on the blazers, but obviously the blazers and the trucks engine comp were almost the same.

The second battery trays are probably one of the most rare options you will ever try to get your hands on, and they are not available aftermarket.

Your best bet is to try to fab up something with another original tray, or something that will work.

I have two in my blazer, but I stopped caring about how it looked a long time ago. Mine is strickly a off road blazer and an around town rig.

Good luck.

therobzilla

7. druehlman

Rob,

Thanks, that clears it up, I guess. Do you have any picks of you fab job to give me some ideas. If you could email them to me or post links it would be awsome.

Thanks agian,
    Dave /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. sanddragon2004

sanddragon2004 Registered Member

while we are on the subject of second batteries, does any body know where you can get wiring kits for the adding a second battery?

9. druehlman