Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2nd Broken Lockright

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canuck, Feb 8, 2002.

1. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

Well I have toasted another Lockright Locker. My first one was defective from the factory. The teeth that engage the coupler to the driver ending up shreading a bit. It wouldn't stay locked.
    The 2nd locker is totally locker. It turns out I have sheared the 4 pins in it. I am not sure how I have done this. I am running 35" with 10 bolt axles, stock 350 and Lockright Locker only in rear. I have been 4wheeling right thru the winter. We don't have much snow. And I have been pulling out some fullsize trucks that are really stuck in mud & ice. I broke a 18 000 lb strap one trip. Is this abuse cost me the locker? And has anyone else broken there Lockright like this?
    Thanks for your help ahead of time!

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've had good luck with Lock Rites.... If no "built in" problems were present, I would think it would be tougher than the rest of the 10 b axle. With 2 failures under your belt, I would suspect that something else is wrong.

1) Your carrier could be stretched. Did you measuer the .170" assembly dimension between the couplers?
    2) Axle housing could be bent?
    3) Axle shafts bent?

.... I'm guessing.

I do know that the only way you could shear the pins is if the locker wouldn't "unlock". Wen under power, no stress goes thru the small 4 pins, they just locate the clicking couplers during racheting.

Hope this helps!

Marv

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

If your carier had alot of miles on it that could be part of the problem. I have had no problems with my lock right in the front. I just found out though mini spools and the street dont get along well :(

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I have three that have held up well. One is in a daily driver with 30" tires and the other two are in my 12bolt/D44 between 38"s and 64 to 1 gearing. If it is set up right and not defective, you should not be breaking it with 35"s and a stock engine. Other stuff should break first.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

isnt the loc-right for 33 or smaller tires?
    i could be very wrong
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

the guys at randy ring told me the same thing
    they are great for 33 or smaller, but not heavy enough for the bigger tires
    i hope this is not a problem, i just finished installing mine about 20 minutes ago
    i now have them front and rear

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a friend that had one in his front 60, his broke twice. Both times Lock Right replaced it under warranty. The second time he called and talked to someone in the tech dept that told him he should purchase an upgrade center pin from Lock Right (around $30). The tech guy said the original pin can deflect under heavy load allowing uneven engagement of the teeth which can lead to breakage.

He never tested the theory though, he installed a Detroit after the second break.

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

8. Blazin Obsession

Blazin Obsession Registered Member

I had the same problem, broken pins and I even ordered in a new center pin with the small pins and the same happened again,,, I found out that they are not to be used with tires over 33"or any heavy offroading.
    Ken

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazinobsession.com/>http://www.blazinobsession.com/</a>

9. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Damn, I wonder if mine are going to break now [​IMG]

I have the hardened pins with all three.

10. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have spoken to Powertrax the maker of the lockright and a new No-Slip locker. They informed that the lockright is indeed for the 33" and smaller tire, but the new No-Slip is designed for the larger tire user. I am trying to get one to do a review on in the near future for my Dana 60 front end. I will let you all know how it turns out.

I may be slow, but I sure am fat!