Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2nd Gen 6 pt. roll cage!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MilpitasK5, Apr 23, 2003.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

http://www.norcalbigdawgs.net/Gallery/album85

I dropped my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif off at Greg72's house about a week ago and this is what I got back!

I asked for a simple 6 pt. roll cage that would removeable. It has pieces and I can just unbolt the front part and slide it back if I don't want need to take the entire cage out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's equipped with a mount for my high lift jack, two fire extinguishers, and a passenger side handle for entrance (since my g/f is 4'11" she has a hard time getting in and out /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif).

He can do basically whatever you want and if you don't know how to do it, he'll design it for you!!!

I barely lost any space and I can still use everything; even my sun visors which I thought was gonna be non accessible.

Check out the hardware he used. The plates are bolted to the strongest parts of the body too. Greg72 also told me that when I wanna tie my seats into the cage, that'll be no problem. I'll just have to bring it back over and he'll take care of it.

Lemme know what you guys think... I think I'll also be hittin' him up for the hidden hitches (front and/or rear) that will also give some clearance /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Now I just have to do my 3/4 ton swap! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

THANKS GREG!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif GREAT WORK!

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Greg is the man! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[on knees] we're not worthy [/on knees]

But seriously! Nice work....

Marv

4. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Very Nice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

saaa-weeet, brah!

glad to hear your still alive and kickin! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Nice work!

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Freakin BadA$$.. Nice work Greg /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (as usual) I like the clamp part, very clever. I see you're putting the plasma to use /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm jealous man.

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Very nice Chris.

More great fab work by the Tortilla man! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Did you get a sticker "Tortilla fabwerx by Greg72" with it?

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

just curious, how much did he charge you for that?

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Just wondering, how are you supposed to get the dashpad off?

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the cage is removeable. it is sleeved to maintain strength.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    the cage is removeable. it is sleeved to maintain strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

To expand on that idea a bit more, the A-Pillar section is sleeved and pinned into the main hoop. By removing the pins and unbolting the front mounting plates from the floor, you would be able to slide the entire front of the cage approximately 6" back....away from the dashboard.

That should provide plenty of room to gain access to screws, bolts and to replace whatever needs attention.

If need be, the ENTIRE cage can also be unbolted and removed, though you'd also have to unbolt a total of 30 Gr-8 fasteners to accomplish that! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    To expand on that idea a bit more, the A-Pillar section is sleeved and pinned into the main hoop.

[/ QUOTE ] Greg, does that design maintain sufficient strength to withstand rollover as if it were permanent?

14. Greg72

Pam,

The entire cage is built from 2" DOM tubing. That is already 30% stronger than conventional HREW tubing that most shops would use. You'll hear plenty of folks saying that 1.75" is sufficient... personally, I don't know that a rollcage is where you should accept "merely sufficient" materials! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The wall thickness of the tubing is .125" which is pretty beefy.... the "sleeved" area has a smaller diameter DOM tubing inside the 2" tube (also at .125" wall thickness), so in those areas of the cage, you actually have 1/4" wall thickness.

From my perspective, there is a severe amount of "overkill" in this particular cage. Most would likely tell you that a failure of a cage is more likely to happen at it's junction points or in a bent section of tube, than it is to happen in the middle of a straight section..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. jay web

jay web Registered Member

you ought to whip up a kit. I want one

16. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A kit would be kick a$$ A friend of mine has a blazer and he is interested Maybe you could do one up for a pickup also really like the grab handles /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. Greg72

Jay / Gus,

I've thought about trying the whole "kit" thing....but there seem to be a few problems with that:

1. I'd be competing pricewise with the Smittybilts of the world, and could never buy material in large enough quantities to get their price breaks.

2. The "other" companies are also willing to use lower-grade materials to save money, so it's not just a cost issue, but a quality issue as well.

3. Shipping would be rediculous.

4. A cage is only as good as it's mounting to the truck. I like being able to insure that the cage is properly bolted-down with solid hardware & backing plates, and in the strongest points of the existing cab. Having the truck in front of me during the build-phase lets me have complete control over this important step.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY:

5. A "custom" cage should be unique..... the reason these guys have spent the extra money for custom work vs. a mail-order cage, is so that they could have THEIR ideas designed into a cage solution for them. Each cage I have built so far has been uniquely tailored to the vehicle and to the owners "wish list"..... to be honest, that's one of the things that makes it so enjoyable for me.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that knocking out 5 or 10 identical cages a week would get boring.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it was worth a try /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'd like to have you do a cage for me but california is a long ways from me [ QUOTE ]
    1. I'd be competing pricewise with the Smittybilts of the world, and could never buy material in large enough quantities to get their price breaks.

2. The "other" companies are also willing to use lower-grade materials to save money, so it's not just a cost issue, but a quality issue as well.

[/ QUOTE ] I'd rather pay extra and have something I trusted than skimp on the prices and have to wonder if was gonna work when I needed it ....... Nice work I really like the way you bolted the front and rear sections toether ....I also liked the way you did your gauges My 69 c-10 has the smaller Autometer gauges I'd like to go to the same size you have in yours 2-5/8" right? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif