Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2nd-Gen Fulltop Blazer sightings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Craig Artzner, Jan 27, 2007.

?

How many '73-'75 K5s do you spot in a year?

1. 0-2

49 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. 3-5

28 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. 5-10

19 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. More than 10

21 vote(s)
    16.8%
  5. I don't care about your stupid poll, Craig

8 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I saw a '75 Blazer on the road today in Akron. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've only seen 6 total '73-'75 Blazers in person here in Northeast Ohio my whole life.

Two of them I owned, one in '98 and one currently. Another two I went and looked at as possible purchases but they were rustbuckets. The last one is one that a guy in a nearby town uses to plow the driveway of his shop, it's also a rustbucket. That's 5 total. Until today when I saw my 6th.

How often do you guys spot 2nd gen full-tops where you all live?

2. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

I see 2 of them all the time. I have 2 in my parts pool, 1 I have almost completely stripped but it has its top , windshield frame and doors. The other is real rusty but more intact. I have the rollbars out of both of them in my 77. I have seen 2 of them at junkyards in Denver in the last year. I was at BB06 so I saw a lot more in the last year than I usually do.:D I don't see many just driving around but that is not what I look at anyway.

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

were is the nekkid option?? i see 2-3 a year, not counting the one i own.

4. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They seem to last longer out here. There are about a half dozen 73'-75's around where I live .

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I see two every day, my '73 and my '75. The '73 does need the tranny swapped out though.

[​IMG]

Though I do see two others locally running around!

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I've seen one around the akron area, it had a crappy blue paintjob, black hardtop, small lift, rust.

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

One in like 7 years and a few months ago I spotted a scraped one.

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

there are 3 I see alot, and alot I see around town

1 inch chandler at the house next to my moms
    2 inch south scottsdale, I drive around all day long in the scottsdale area so i run into them alot

the last one I see alot is just like yours, next time I shall snap a pic, I might already have one though:confused:

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I've only been paying attention for the past maybe 5 years or so. The total in that time is...1. It was beyond rusted, though the guy said it still ran (plowed his drive with it). I have the top, windshield pillars and doors off of one in my garage but never saw the truck they came from.

Tominator II how did you get the roll bar into your '77? Did you have to alter the rollbar base? I tried to get mine into my '76 and it wouldn't happen that I could tell.

10. Craig Artzner

Sounds like you have a project waiting to happen. If you're serious about it you should talk to skyyK5 (Trevor) on here. He converted an '89 K5 to a full removable ('73-'75) style Blazer.

As far as your question about the roll bar, what year Blazer did the roll bar come out of? From '73-'77 the legroom area infront of the backseat was the same height as the rear cargo area, and from '78 on up they extended the front floor area back to the front edge of the backseat in order to give the rear passengers more legroom. If you have a rollbar from a '78-'91 Blazer it will definitely be too long for your '76...:thinking:

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's on a long list of projects.

I was told the rollbar came from the truck that donated the top, A pillars, and doors, so '73 -'75 and mine IS a '76. But I couldn't get the base of the rollbar to sit flat on the floor and not interfere with the roof (the steel roof).

Either the rollbar is from a different year or I'm a little challenged? :confused:

Hey Happy Birthday!

12. Craig Artzner

Thanks for the birthday wish! I just turned 30 an hour ago. Ugh.

Now that you mention it, I'm realizing that that the '73-'75 roll bar would in fact have to fit under the (lower) steel roof of the the '76-'91 Blazer. Chances are you will have to shorten the roll bar to get it to fit. Here's a picture of my '75 Blazer I had back in '98 with the top off with the factory roll bar, you can kind of get an idea what it will look like.

Like the body sag between the front fender and door? It wasn't that bad until I took the top off :D

[​IMG]

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

your spoiled!:haha:

14. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I see one all the time (mine). There are 3-4 of the running around town. My favorite local boneyard had 4 at one time (one was a sad attempt at making a half cab with the fiberglass top). Having gone back to the same yard last week they look to have crushed those 4, but had two more fresh ones (both 73's). One of which had a pop up camper instead of the normal top. Before anybody gets excited for it, the camper wasn't for a full convertible K5, but for a 76 and later that somebody *adapted* to fit. Meaning, it had some pretty nasty stuff built up from thin wood and expandable foam for the door glass to seal too. Ugly.

Still on my regular travels to Denver I see a few from time to time. They are better off surviving out west than back east. Mine has rusty wheel openings and rockers, but the floors are perfect (one small spot on the drivers floor). By colorado standards it's rusty, by salt belt state standards it's quite nice.

15. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mine is the only one I know of around here. Most poeple think I am a wizard at fiberglass and body work. Nothing could be further from the truth.

16. Craig Artzner

:haha: I've gotten that too! Sometimes it's easier just to let them believe it. It seemed that every time the top came off somebody was coming up to me with a dropped jaw asking how I did it...

17. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I seem to see these all the time in Oregon/Washington area. The First Gens are a little rarer - but usually see one at least once a week or so

18. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Up here in Idaho I see an average of about 6 A DAY :eek1: :D !!

19. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

I see a few around here. I also see a few 76 and newer with the roof painted the same color as the top to make it look like a full top. Of course, I too am lucky enough to be able to check one out whenever I want.:laugh:

Image003.jpg

20. 64suburban

64suburban Registered Member

The only one I ever see around is in my back yard. 1975 yellow and white Blazer. There's not much left of her though, what time and rust didn't get I've stripped off, including the leaf spring brackets, and I took them off with the body still on! She's sitting on wood four by fours and a tire under the front and back bumper to keep her off the ground. I'm in TN