Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2ND GEN PUCHASE???.....It's a strange NEW world for me? UPDATE: BOUGHT IT!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

2ND GEN PUCHASE???.....It\'s a strange NEW world for me? UPDATE: BOUGHT IT!

SEE UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE...

My name is Greg, and I'm a BlazerHolic.....

pause while everyone on the site says "Hi, Greg" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

...it all started about two years ago when I realized that I needed a 4x4 to replace the little Honda CR-V that I had been leasing....good for snowboarding trips to Tahoe, but not really a "truck" if you know what I mean!

About that same time, my wife met a guy at her work that was getting rid of a fullsize '83 Ford Bronco 4x4. It was certainly not pretty, but everything ran fine and it was only $800....he was the original owner, no accidents, no dents. I really wanted a Blazer, but this one just fell into my lap, so I bought it.

Crowd gasps....at the thought of Greg owning a FORD! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

So I've been living with the secret that, while I now own a really cool Blazer, I still have the shame of an old blue Ford parked in front of my house. This has been my "cross to bear" for the last 2 years.....

Crowd is hushed in a moment of understanding and compassionate acceptance....

Well yesterday, my luck appears to have changed for the BETTER! A friend of mine (who owns a K5) is leaving the country and needs to sell his Blazer. He is a good friend, so he said the selling price really isn't that important to him and he would like to see me get it, because he knows I will take good care of it, and fix it up.

Here's the only problem:

I don't know anything about Blazers built after 1972!

Here's what I do know....

It's a 1988
    Grey with red two-tone paint. Paint is flaking on hood (typical clearcoat problem for GMs)
    Interior is quite nice, seats are good with no rips, carpet is a little dirty but might just need a good cleaning.
    5.7L V8 (That's a 350 right?)
    Water Pump is broken as of yesterday...
    Transmission is slipping and will probably need work
    160,000 Miles.

The water pump failing is what triggered him to call me now, instead of in two weeks when he leaves. He doesn't want to spend any more money on it, since he needs to get rid of it anyway. The waterpump doesn't scare me that much....but the transmission stuff DOES! We're talking about a 700R4 right? I have no idea what a rebuild costs, but I'm sure it's a LOT.

I'd just like to know what I should offer him, knowing that I'm going to immediately have to sink money into it. The good part is that I can finally sell the Bronco, and use that money towards the purchase price or towards repairs....and the Blazer is in MUCH nicer condition (except for the tranny and water pump, of course!).....I won't be embarrassed parking it in front of my house.

OK, so if you wouldn't mind....please give me your input on costs....weak points on the '88K5, or other things I should be aware of.

Thanks 2nd Genners! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

<font color="red"> UPDATE: </font color>

Well, I bought it......actually, it worked out better than that. I traded the Br*nco for the Blazer, and got my buddy to also give me $500. (There's no accounting for taste, I suppose!)

So now I've got a second Blazer....and NO F*RDs. I feel better already. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

A couple of things I will do pretty quickly:

1. Transmission. There is definitely a problem there. I drove it a little yesterday, and it holds 1st forever, sometimes won't shift, and sometimes the engine revs wildly and NOTHING happens inside the trans. I knew this was part of the deal, so I have already budgeted for a new 700R4.

2. Minor cosmetic stuff....New carpets, new dash bezel, new door panel upper trim, and new headliner. That will just about make the interior look new again. I think LMC sells parts for these trucks also, right? Are there other sources that specialize in 2nd Gen trucks? I pretty much know ALL the ones that do 1st Gen stuff.

3. Figure out what gears are in the axles. I just bolted on a set of leftover 35" tires to replace the "weenie tires" that it came with. I don't want to fry a brand new transmission by spinning TOO much tire, so I better find out soon if I'm in the ballpark gearing-wise.

4. ColoradoK5 stickers. Better get these things installed for extra HP and "cool factor"....should be able to get this done today! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Anyway, that's the update. If anyone wants to chime in with good parts sources, or ideas I'm all ears!

2. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Re: 2ND GEN PUCHASE???.....It\'s a strange NEW world for me?

you caught the damn leprachaun(sp? little guy green suite) didnt you!
    congrats on the new toy, and good luck (like ya need it)

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My cousin has an 89 with a 700R and it cost him a little over $1800 to have it serviced. But thats all i know about the really new ones.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Swap a 465/205 in and call it good Greg. Waterpump is cake. 5.7 is a 350...

Chances are it has 3.42's or 3.73's in those nasty 10 bolt diffs...

What are your eventual plans for this truck? Ask your bud what he considers a fair price...mention the tranny will cost about $1500 minimum to repair or rebuild.

Rene

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Man, I swear you have a hard-on for the 465!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. Sandhills Blazer

Sandhills Blazer Registered Member

I had an 88 K5 and loved it. In a weak moment I let her go and was sorry every day afterwards. Now have a 91 K5 and it will never leave me. Already told several people who wanted to buy it that they did not have enough money in the bank to buy it. About the 700r4, I just had mine rebuilt and it cost $850. Had all the heavy duty upgrades as well. Shifts much faster from gear to gear and runs cooler as well. Water pump is no problem. Welcome to the K5 world. I know you will enjoy it a lot.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Figure $1500-1800 for the tranny. You can buy a GM tranny like a crate motor. they go for about $1500. That's about what it's going to cost you unless you want to try to rebuild it yourself. Parts to rebuild it will be in the $200-250 range. Blue book ( www.kbb.com ) on a 88 listed as fair meaning a driver with cosmetic problems is $1925. With the blown tranny hard call. here is the link to the page. The miles are the killer.
    http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.urr?kbb.GA;595825;GA067&amp;30066;suv;p&amp;752;Chevrolet;1988%20Blazer&amp;15;CT;B2
    I would offer him around $1k since if you can't rebuild it your going to have to put another $2k in it.
    The only other weak point on the 88 is the rear axle. Yeah it has a 208 but with the right gears they do fine.

8. Greg72

Rene,

You know what's funny? I have a 3.73 12-Bolt sitting in my back yard out of my '72 that would probably bolt right in!! I also have 35's, 4" lift kit, etc...just sitting around as "take offs" from my other K5 but I don't think that's what I should be doing with THIS truck.

As far as "plans"....sorry, nothing exciting. I just need a driver that can get decent mileage and be quiet and comfortable. None of those things are available in my '72 currently!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

The only other thing I know is that it has those auto-locking (exploding?) hubs. That seems like a quick and relatively cheap fix though.

I was thinking of offering him somewhere in the $1000 to $1500 range for the truck. I don't want to offend him, but I'm also unemployed at present, so there is a financial reality to deal with also.

9. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Man, I swear you have a hard-on for the 465!!!

[/ QUOTE ]Just like you do for D60's...it's tough not to like the bullet proof parts/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

10. tRustyK5

I have a 3.73 12-Bolt sitting in my back yard out of my '72 that would probably bolt right in!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Perch width is different from first gen to second gen.../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Good luck with it Greg!

Rene

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Instead of making him the offer, ask him what he'd take for it. Let him set a price and go from there.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Make it your tow rig!!
    Build it for low end torque too.
    Amazing you were able to keep that Blue Oval a secrete from us all this time /forums/images/icons/blush.gif What else you got hiding around there?? Probly a VW bus for thoes Spicolly flash backs /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif heheheee

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ever see the episode of MASH where nearly everyone in camp gets Salmonella? They're all mad at Klinger, because he had scammed the turkey that made them all sick. Anyway, Klinger was one of the last to come down with syptoms. As they hauled Klinger into the hospital, Rizzo looked up and cheered "Hey everybody! Klinger's got it!".

So using that same voice and inflection: "Hey everybody! Greg's got it!" /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif So Greg, welcome to the world of GM truck addiction! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I only have 4 right now, but only because I have run out of places to park 'em. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Sell that Bronco and get on with life! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1988 has fuel injection. This is good. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I had an '87, which is pretty much the exact same vehicle as an '88. It was still running like a top when I traded it in with 125K miles on the clock (and the original tranny that had never been rebuilt). Mileage was pretty tight around 13.5 MPG regardless of what I was doing with it. They're pretty comfy rigs. I called mine The PlushTruck(tm). /forums/images/icons/wink.gif 10-bolts from and rear. 700R4. The T-case could be an NP208 or an NP241, as '88 was a transitional year. Check the round red tag on the back of the case to find out which it left the factory with.

Now tell us about the audio equipment that you plan to install in it! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Allright Greg is turning towards the dark side /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

The Warn Premiums cost me about $90- from 4 wheel parts.

15. Greg72

Now tell us about the audio equipment that you plan to install in it!

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA...... Harry I'm out of equipment! It's all in my '72.

I suppose I will hafta put something in there, but since it's going to be parked on the street it will be cheap and/or concealed.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For cheap, but still bumps, look at www.cmttrading.com I ran a set of 1000 WATT Performance Teknique 12's and they do pound. I was very impressed with these cheapies. Only powered with a Legasy 1600 watt amp, another cheapie. So for cheap beats, I recomened.

17. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

So,ya gonna be gettin rid of the Bronco? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ?

18. Greg72

Frizz,

Hell yes...! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I'll need the money to fix the Blazer anyway.

The wife would kill me if I added a 5th vehicle to our collection too....! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Right now Greg has the most freakin' awesome stereo system in his '72 that I have ever heard. No thumping and bumping, just pure, clean sound. He cranked it up a little for me one night at Moab. I was in awe.... So I don't know if he'd really be satisfied with anything too low end. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Let's see if I can remember some of the stuff he was telling me about it. 2,200 watts of power (or was it 1,400? It was a LOT). /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif over 600 feet of wiring. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Custom built ported enclosures for the subs. Speakers were mounted seemingly everywhere. It blew me away... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd like too hear it, sounds like it is amazing. I'm planning on a system in my K5, but I just don't got the $$$$ at the momment. I'd be happy with a low buck system right now becouse all I've got is the factory am/fm single speaker in the dash at the momment. I do have my JVC KD-LX50 headunit in the closet. Had it under the dash for awhile with some 6x9's, didn't skip, so it'll be going in soon. I'll probley get some cheapie subs and amp till I can aford what I really want.