Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2nd X-member on an 83.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Feb 6, 2002.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I purchased a second cross member this weekend knowing that it came off of a 79-k5. I put it up to my 83 and noticed that the frame is 3 feet wide in the center. I want to use it to tie in a larger skid plate.

My question is how shoul I stretch the x-member to fit.
    1. Hack the center and weld in a new center peice, or
    2. attach some sort of extension to the ends to reach the frame.
    Thanks for the help.

Later <font color=green>KEN</font color=green>
    Fremont, CA
    DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, although I can't help much, I'm glad I'm not the only one that found you can't use the earlier (or some of them) crossmembers on the newer trucks.

I even got hold of a mid 70's two piece crossmember/skid plate assembly, and then realized it wouldn't fit. I ended up going to a wrecking yard and paying like $20 for the "correct" crossmember.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. DuneRunner

"correct" crossmember

What year did it come from?

I'm thinking that if I hack it down the center I can get a long enough peice to go over the center and weld her up nice and tight.
    Thanks for the info.

Fremont, CA

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

rather than messing with a x-member that has several different angles you'l have to weld and adapt your piece to,,,,
    just get yourself some 2x2 or 2x4 square tubing and maybe some 1/8 or 3/16 plate for the end's on the frame and fab one up yourself. it will probably be easier for one, and a lot stronger for another.

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It was like an '86. I needed the one with no "humps" in it for the NP205, and thats what I happened to find. I know there were different crossmembers 81-91, but I'd be willing to bet all from that vintage will bolt up.

I *really* need to look up in the manual the frame widths. I've had people tell me before that I was crazy that they were all the same, but it just wouldn't fit.

I did have to move the crossmember forward a ways since I went with the SM465. Interesting, because there were no holes in the '81 frame for the SM465 crossmember location, which to me now seems odd, at the time, I just had to accomplish the swap.

Maybe the frame was a CA truck, apparently in '81, they had no manual optional there. Makes sense, better economy? Why would California want that? : )

Sorry to start rambling.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. DuneRunner

Maybe the frame was a CA truck, apparently in '81, they had no manual optional there. Makes sense, better economy? Why would California want that? : )LOL[​IMG][​IMG]
    That was a good ONE. I have been told by my father (original owner of my K5) That at the time of purchase that was not an option in 83 as well. I guess that you had to make your own.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open. and I too am a ferm believer that the frames are slitely different over the years.

Fremont, CA

7. DuneRunner

That was plan A. I have 2x2 1/4 inch square. But to lower it to be level with the front x-member would be hard with out doing a bunch of angles. I have the matterial so it just may work out...

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll end up posting up the finished product when I can find time to work on it. [​IMG] Just Sucks living in the dang Silicon Valley You leave when its dark in the morning and you get home with only 45 min. of sunlight left. Not enought time to start a big project. So Sat, Sunday come around and you want to go wheeling or Snow Boarding and no time to work on the K. ENought of my blabing.

Fremont, CA

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Why not get another matching cross member and cut them off center so you could put them together making one long factory looking piece?

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

9. DuneRunner

That is what the NEW plan A.
    Making it fit.[​IMG]

Fremont, CA

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

make a custom one.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.