Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd 1 ton

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5ntexas, Nov 25, 2001.

1. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

i think i might be able to get a cheap 2wd 1 ton and i was wondering if i could take those axles and put em on my k5. i know its a 14 bolt rear but not to sure on the front. i know it has a 350/th400 on it. would i be able to put that stuff on it as well along with the axles? if it ain't a bolt on thing what would i hafta do to make it work if its possible? i have a 305/400/208. anything will help. thanx.

jacob

what is that low rider doing under my k5?
    wow nice lil jap car. whats it good for?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just thought I'd point out what should be obvious...a 2WD one ton has no front diff, that's what makes it two wheel drive. The 14 bolt rear would need perches relocated and shock mounts too.

The 2WD also would not have a t-case and the tranny would be a 2WD version with a thinner case.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The rear axle will work but you will need to relocate the spring perches and shock mounts. You'll also need to get an adapter u-joint or modified drive shaft since the rear joints are different on a 1 ton. Depending on the style of e-brake cable, it may also require some work.

The TH400 will work but the output shaft will need to be swapped. Doable but not generally considered in the realm of "do-it-yourself". With a few special tools, a manual, and some time, you can do the swap (I have).

The 350 is just like any other small block. You may need to swap the wiring harness if it is late model to keep the EFI or swap stuff over from the 305. Depends on what each has and what you want.

That's all I can think of...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I thought all trucks got the heavy case.?

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The TH350's in the K-series have a heavier case identified by a large 'K' cast into it. I'm not 100% sure on the TH400 but it would make sense.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

lol. oh yeah. i knew that. i seriously did. just had a brain fart i guess. dang maybe i shoulda stayed at the ranch. i think maybe i'll just take the 350 if he gives me a cheap enough price. well thanx for the advice. later.

jacob

what is that low rider doing under my k5?
    wow nice lil jap car. whats it good for?

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I try to remember a tranny I once had sitting in the shed and whether it had the "K" or "HD" casting on it. I have a 400 tranny in the shed now with the "HD" casting and its the 6 bolt dust cover case for 4wd's. I think I have seen the "K" casting before. Just can't remember. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>