Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd 14blt ff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Jan 14, 2003.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

I have a 14blt ff out of a 75' 3/4 ton 2wd pickup. Considering swapping it into my 77' 3/4 ton 4wd pickup. The reason being the desirable gear ratio. My question is do the spring preachers and shock mounts both have to be moved or just the shock mounts. Wondering which would be easier swapping the axles or just the gears? I've heard the open 14blt ff is the desirable one for adding a locker some day, the 2wd 14blt has a gov-loc could the gears still be swaped?? Thanks for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I used a 14 bolt from a 78 2wd 3/4. Only the shock mounts need to be moved. And that is much much easier then swapping the gears. Just cut them off and move them up 2" and weld them back on.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

make sure that it is same spring perch disstance as yours is currently, measure from outside face of one to inside face of other one and do same for both axles, some are 40" and some are 42.5" so..,

if really are both pickup axles then will bolt in

now, if the pickup was a pre73 then youd have a problem as far as spring perch distances

good luck