Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd 4l60e Vs. 4wd 4l60e

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChickenRammit, Jan 9, 2006.

1. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What Differences Are There Between The 2wd And 4wd Versions Of The 4l60e? I Was Just Figuring The Only Difference Is That The Output Shafts Are Of Different Lengths, But A Transmission Guy Started To Tell Me That They Use Different Cases, But I Think He's Wrong. Whats Everyone Around Here Have To Say About This?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

for the same year trannys, yes the outputshaft is the only difference. the 4wd 4L60E did use a K case, but so did some of the 2wd. the difference is the way the inspection shield bolts on and what its made out of. some say the bellhousing is thicker, but the only thickness difference ive seen is where the inspection cover bolts on, it is thicker on a k case.

in, IIRC, 96, they changed the case to a 2 peice case with a removable bellhousing and an inspection sheild like a manual tranny. the adapter or tailshaft pattern was also changed to what the th400 and 4L80E has. hardly anything internall was affected by this change.

the output shaft between the 2wd and 4wd has changed from 1982 to now. except that the governor gear is not there on a 93 and newer tranny. there are a few differences between years and models on the 2wd shafts, but the 4wd shafts are identicle.

3. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

SO, BASICALLY, MY TRANSFER CASE ADAPTER FROM MY 700R4 WON'T MATCH THE TAILSHAFT PATTERN ON MY '99 4L60E? WHERE CAN I GET AN ADAPTER THAT WILL FIT A NP208 ONTO THE '99 4L60E?

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep, you should be able to find them on 96 and newer fullsize trucks. the tcase pattern is the same.