Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd 4wd cabs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Aug 11, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my friend just offered me a mint 82 2wd cab, what are the differences in the 2wd and 4wd cabs?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The tranny tunnel in the floor can be lower possibly creating tranny/floor interference problems. If you're using a body lift this wont be a problem. That's the only physical difference I know of.

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

crap, i dont really want to use a body lift, i got a 2inch lift sitting in my shed, maybe i can cut the pucks in half?

4. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Check around. Early (73ish) models had bolt in tranny humps and then later spot welded. You might be able to find one in a salvage yard and weld it in to the 82 cab.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 74 K20 has a 2WD cab on it(whats left of it anyway /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)--the truck was a 77 but the previous owner changed the cab to a then rust free 74 2WD cab..The bolt in floor hump from the 77 4x4 cab bolted right up to the older 2WD cab,after cutting the solid hump out,and drilling the holes--the hump doesnt fit at the rear near the seat,you will have to fab up a piece of sheet metal to fill the gap--mine was open for awhile,and the heat that gets in the cab thru there is incredible,like a hot air furnace,even in the winter.My truck has a 3 inch body lift,not sure if the transfer case would hit the floor without it.I made a plate to block it off, because mice used it for a handy entrance to the cab,and they ate my lunch I had stashed in the cab one winter day, and some of the wiring harness for desert!. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif