Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd/4wd conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SickboySS, Mar 12, 2004.

1. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

hey guys....my 88 keeps getting worse by the week (no joke) and i was just told that a friend has a 84 (i think) swb pickup with every part of it in mint shape...

only problem, its 2wd...can i use the 2wd frame and weld on perch's for springs? or do i need to use a 4x4 frame?

2. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

to make it clearer, what i wanna do is use the other truck because everything on it is mint...i'd just use the drivetrain out of the blazer

3. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

When I made mine into a 4x I found the worst looking rig I could and stripped the body off and set my c-10 body on k-10 chassis, after research I found this to be the easiest way for me, I have a issue of hot rod I think it was they took a 65 chevy c-10 and put everything under it to make a k-10 out of it, did'nt look to hard.Also do a search here as I know it's been discussed before, although I'm sure the 4x frames are built different then 2x frame cause the 4x's flex more with the truck.I'm also thinking doing this aswell, i got a 71 gmc 3/4 ton and i am getting a 77 k-10 with granny 4 and 205............i'd love to have that granny 4 in my gmc but............ /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you do a solid axle swap under a 2wd . You get crossover steering easier as the 2wd has a side to side box. SO if you are not going crossover you need to use your 4wd box. Its possible to use a 2wd frame to make a 4x4. It will just take careful planning and fabbing. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Just find someone else who wants to make their 4-by into a 2wd, and trade them frames. I'm sure it's easier said than done, but it's worth a try. I know there are several people who would be tickled pink to have a 2wd K5, or to turn their K10/20 into a C10/20, but don't want to lose their nice body.

6. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

i wish it was that easy to find a swb 4x4 truck frame around here in as good of condition as this 2wd frame...

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally think it'd be easier to NOT change frames.

Having changed frames before, I'd say extracting the 2wd stuff and bolting/welding on the 4wd front suspension would be MUCH easier.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

actually, after practically giving away a perfect SWB C10 frame, and buying a K10 frame, it appears that all of the mounting holes are already there for the 4x4 front suspension.

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a 1-ton frame sitting in my driveway right now that a previous owner had converted from 2wd to 4x4 by mounting all the 4x4 spring hangers onto the 2wd frame. I also had a 1/2 ton Suburban that was done the same way. On my '78 Chevy, I unbolted the whole body and dropped it onto a rolling 4x4 frame. Depends on what tools you have and what seems easier to you. I don't have a good welder or torch, so the body swap was easier for me.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

It can be a can of worms either way.

If you have a forklift, do a frame swap. If you're setup for steel fabricating, modify the 2wd frame /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif