Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd->4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Feb 2, 2006.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i am looking at subs and alot are 2wd. this doesnt bother as i was going to replace every front suspension piece anyways. Are the crossmembers differant? i havent had a 4wd and 2wd next to each other to compare. if they are differant, can they still be used? thanks guys

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

someones got to know:D

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

riveted engine supports are higher. there's more I'm sure.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Are you asking about the engine crossmember? It's totaly different between the two. The 4x4 uses a piece near the front of the engine to go between the frame rails, the 2wd crossmember is part of the suspension.

5. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Its not that hard to convert to 4x4. I just did it to my 84 c20 suburban- i had a parts frame from a 4x4 suburban so i just took the front spring hangers off that and bolted it on the 2wd frame. As for the engine crossmember the 2wd one is HUGE - since it is part of the front suspension, i think im just gonna have the crossmember cut down and have the bottom welded flat. Other than that u will need a diffrent crossmember for the tranny-trans case, and the crossmember after the tranny will need to be replaced to since it sits low- would get in the way of the driveshaft.

brad

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

basicly im worried about the engine crossmember. i know in a 4wd theres 2 front crossmembers. which one on the 2wd is the big one? if its the engine crossmember then i could just replace it with one from ord, right? and if its the one farther forward i could take it out and put in one from a 4wd, no? or is it all one piece and be better off to just get both crossmembers and get rid of the 2wd one? sorry for all the questions but i wanna know before i go buying stuff

7. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

the engine crossmember on the 2wd frame is the massive crossmember- yes you can use the crossmember from ord, or any 4x4 engine crossmember, u just have to have the mounts that bolt to the engine mount and to the crossmember. Thats why im just gonna cut down the 2wd engine crossmember - its cheaper than the ord crossmember and it will provide protection to the engine.

The very front crossmember is diffrent between 2wd and 4x4, i have the one for the 4x4 frame but i just left the 2wd one in there. The 4x4 crossmember has the holes on the bottom for the sway bar bushings- so im just gonna bolt a flat piece or frame rail under the front crossmember to bolt the sway bar up to and it will act as a skidplate to.

brad

8. muddy81ca

muddy81ca Registered Member

This Has Been Beat To Death!!! Search!!!!!!!

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Dude i did. I dodnt find the specifics that i need so i asked specific questions about the crossmember. Dont get all over me about searching. I didnt ask what a shackle flip was:rolleyes: i found a few posts but not the info i needed. get off my back wouldya