Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2WD 8-lug front suspension question - will 1973 parts fit 1985 truck?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rich, Oct 5, 2004.

1. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

My friend has a 2WD 1/2-ton 1985 Chevy truck that he's building into his tow rig. He will be swapping in a 14-bolt FF rear, and wants to upgrade the front suspension (IFS, since it is 2WD) to the 8-lug pattern and bigger brakes.

I have a 1973 3/4-ton 2WD parts truck. Will the front suspension bolt on to his 1985? If so, what all parts need to be swapped? Everything from the ball-joints out? The A-arms too?

I wanted to ask if it will work before I drag the 73 out of the field and start taking it apart.

Thanks!
    Richard

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I am not 100% sure about swapping the ball joints. To be safe, swap from the a-arms out. You will probably need to swap drag links, too.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd swap it ALL. That whole mess comes unbolted.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have done this swap but going the other way, i used 85 chevy 3/4 ton van onto 70 1/2 ton pick-up. The only issue was the upper A-arm shaft, i think the bolts were a different size IIRC either that or it had something to do with the half moon shaped washer things. Regardless it can be done easily and when you reach the area i am talking about you will be able to figure out what needs to be done to correct it. It has been about 12 years ago since i did the swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As was said above, use A-arms and all.

5. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the great info and quick replies!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Now it's /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif for the parts truck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif