Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd blazer question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by matto, Jan 11, 2006.

1. matto

matto Registered Member

i am thinking about converting a 4x4 blazer to 2wd because it is so hard to find a 2wd blazer in this area. what would i have to do for this, besides the obvious stuff(controll arms, knuckles etc.) what would i have to do to the frame. i have a junk yard next door to me and i have connection with them too. so i have options there. i was just wondering if it is worth it. also i am on a budjet.

matt

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just get the front crossmembers and control arm crap from a pickup. It has been a while since I looked at an older 2wd but I think that stuff is all bolt on. Oh and 2wd steering box and steering linkages. Compare mounting locations for the brackets and see if the Kseries frame has all of them. Replace all the rivets with 7/16" grade 8 bolts. Will stiffen up the chassis as well as make it easy. 2wd Blazers are simply rare. I know a kid who sold a piece of crap one for something like 4k.

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I would also be interested in this. Would the front end equipment from a 91 PU be bolt-on to a K5 (I have a PU that not being used)?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you mean rounded body style one?? not a chance. They have completely different frames from the K5s. Not only that but their frames between 4x4 and 2wd are completely different in the front end.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you are talking about the OBS, buddy of mine has 2, IIRC they are for sale. One is slammed to the ground, the other is stock. But I don't see why you couldn't swap the stuff out, it gets done 2wd to 4wd.....

6. matto

matto Registered Member

i wasnt sure if the frame was the same. but if it just bolts up that is awsome. welding is not a problem either. thanks for the info. looks like i am going to have another project on my hands.

matt